Welcome To Square Wheels Cycling: smokingabonginthebasement

Welcome Bot

Why don't houses in warm climates have basements?  Seems like it would be a place that is naturally cool.

I don't know about all warm climates, but in Florida it was primarily because you couldn't dig deeper than about 5-6 feet without hitting water. 

I don't know about all warm climates, but in Florida it was primarily because you couldn't dig deeper than about 5-6 feet without hitting water. 

In some areas it's because the soil structure would eventually crush the basement and in others it's because it would be too difficult to excavate the soil.

In some areas it's because the soil structure would eventually crush the basement and in others it's because it would be too difficult to excavate the soil.

Nonsense, you're making this up again.  In my previous house they needed to blast granite to get the house where we wanted it.  A concrete foundation is 10" think (usually), what soil is going to crush this?

Nonsense, you're making this up again.  In my previous house they needed to blast granite to get the house where we wanted it.  A concrete foundation is 10" think (usually), what soil is going to crush this?

I think it has mostly to do with heavy clay soils. The shrink and expand like 30% depending on moisture.

Do you understand hydrostatic pressure issues with heavy clay soils?  Any idea of the strength of a typical poured wall, say 50 feet long, even with pilasters?

Some neighborhoods frown on blasting for residential foundations.