Using foul language around the ladies

AirwickWithCheese

A teenager on our street, several years ago, used to roll a portable basketball net to the edge of the street and he and his friend would play B Ball.

They'd begin using loud, bad language, particularly the "f word", that I know bothered the older ladies on the block.

Having been a teacher and a high school sports coach, I knew how to talk to the boys.

I didn't scream at them for their bad behavior.  I used a technique called "keeping the monkey off your back."  I didn't say, "I don't want to hear those words anymore." That would made me the person responsible for monitoring their behavior.

I pointed out that when I've played basketball I've shouted some foul words myself when something bothered me.  But I didn't use them when I knew it might bother someone within hearing distance - I used a different word.  I told them I knew I could COUNT ON THEM (putting the monkey on THEIR backs) and that they didn't want to upset anyone and they would avoid the "f word" so they wouldn't upset those ladies anymore.  Teenagers having "brain damage," that tactic doesn't always work, but it worked in this case.  Good kids!