Hay...I got a question

petitepedal

So in the Colorado man area.And New Mexico..more square bales

Eastern CO and Kansas (and  others) more round rolled bales :dontknow:

In CO...I thought I was looking at Stonehenge..dropped in a large circle.

Other places just willy-nilly in the field

Then you have plastic covered or just a plastic or wire type  bale  :dontknow:

What gives...gimme the scoop 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm going to add another question to this thread rather than start another.  What are the inverted J pipes sticking out of the ground in fields, especially hilly ones as seen in upstate New York.  Are they some kind of vent?

Sorry, I have no idea.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm going to add another question to this thread rather than start another.  What are the inverted J pipes sticking out of the ground in fields, especially hilly ones as seen in upstate New York.  Are they some kind of vent?

Capture.JPG.6e64212ac679fb9cb56227eabc2eacc3.JPG

Those are indeed vents - typically passive vents found mostly over old landfills.  The garbage in the landfill decomposes and generates methane.  To keep the methane from building up too much pressure and migrating away from the landfill (and possibly into the basements of nearby houses) the passive vents allow release of the built up methane pressure, providing a path of least resistance for relieving the pressure.

Passive vents don't always work as well as they should, so some methane migration can still occur.

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Thanks so much @sheep_herder..one more question..what about the old hay..I see some of those plastic wrapped bales..just rotting :dontknow:

Depends upon the operation. The old may be mixed with the new if it is not deteriorated too badly, but some in some cases it is just lost. Some of those big packages can look bad on the outside, but be pretty good on the inside. Normally see semi loads of some pretty rough looking hay going down the highway after a rough winter.

• Thank You 1