So I wonder why they add 6g of sugar to bran flakes, but not to corn flakes?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

9 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Seems wrong since bran flakes are sposed to be healthy.  Seems to me they should leave that to the user.

The vast majority of cereals in a typical supeermarket cereal aisle have 25% or more sugar, many up to 35% - over 1/3 sugar!

That includes a lot of the so-called healthy cereals of the mueslix variety and those with "healthy," "natural," etc. in their names.  Most people can't figure out how much sugar from the nutrition label (g sugar/g serving size x 100%).

For example Post POST Great Grains Cranberry Almond Crunch, "a great source of fiber," has 12g of sugar per 48 oz. serving: 25% sugar!

There are websites listing things like The 30 Healthiest Cereals, where some of them are 20% or more sugar, including Nature's Path Smart Bran (20% sugar), Kellogg's All Bran Original (22% sugar),

I tend to have on hand a 3% to 5% sugar cereal like Corn Flakes or original Cheerios and a just-under-25% sugar cereal for a change of pace like store-brand Harris Teeter or Food Lion supermarkets' Honey Oat Cluster Crunch with Almonds (8 g sugar per 35 g serving, 8/35 = 23% sugar) - I think they're identical, made by the same supplier.

I usually add half a banana and some blueberries and/or strawberries to cereal with Almond Milk.