RAGBRAI 2023

Razors Edge

@Longjohn's GOBA video postings (which I JUST NOTICED!) got me thinking of other multi-day rides, and one of the RV blogs I follow posted on their RAGBRAI ride this year from a cycling and RVing perspective that I enjoyed.  I think it is a much bigger ride (30,000!?!?!?) but you can also see how it really does have a big impact as it rolls through these smaller towns.  Gotta add it to my bucket list.  I guess @JerrySTL has his KATY ride, I know @bikeman564™ has mentioned a cross Michigan ride.  The video mentions events in Wisconsin (RAW) and in  Tennessee (BRAT) and there is the one I wanted to do but didn't up in Seattle (STP).  Is the one up by @BuffJim on the Erie Canal an organized event or more akin to the GAP/C&O ride whenever type?  I gotta start collecting my "list" for rides after retirement options.

In LJs GOBA video, I didn't see too many RVs - almost all tents.  I'm a little surprised by that after seeing how many were involved in the RAGBRAI ride.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

the Erie Canal an organized event

I did that ride again this year in July. I signed up for both GOBA and The Erie Canal ride before I got married. Probably didn’t need to worry about it. Judie is fine with me going on seven or eight day rides without her.

• Heart 1
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2023 at 6:16 PM, bikeman564™ said:

I've not done RAGBRAI, but know people who have. I hear its a crazy fun time.

I have heard because of the size of the ride you are never alone. You always have riders ahead of you and behind you and even beside you. I’m not sure I would like that. GOBA last year had I think 1,200 riders and Erie Canal had 750. That is a small enough group that you can ride by yourself for quite awhile if that is what you want to do. My normal rides in my neighborhood I don’t see any other riders until I get to the Lake Wilhelm trail and then I will only see  maybe six riders going the other direction on the 12 mile trail. They all came in cars and parked at the trailhead.

• Like 1