Yay! Fresh maple syrup.

Rattlecan

4 gallons of new syrup.  The last 8 years we have a deal with some Amish neighbors. They use our cooker and we get syrup.  Last year they added reverse osmosis so now they only have to do about 20% of the cooking they did before.  The last 2 years they have made over 200 gallons.  I still have our original smaller evaporator but haven't used it for a few years.  When we made 200 gallons we had to cook 24 hours a day with both evaporators.  RO has really cut the work down.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Last year they added reverse osmosis so now they only have to do about 20% of the cooking they did before. 

I found some plans online to DIY one. Might do that next year, especially if I tap the trees across the street, too. 

Ordinarily, I boil in a stainless steel buffet pan, on my outdoor cooker until it starts getting close, then finish indoors.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I found some plans online to DIY one. Might do that next year, especially if I tap the trees across the street, too. 

Ordinarily, I boil in a stainless steel buffet pan, on my outdoor cooker until it starts getting close, then finish indoors.

He built his own.  It isn't that hard.  Then he finishes it in my 2x8 ft King evaporator.  The small one is a 2x4 ft.

14 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

He built his own.  It isn't that hard.  Then he finishes it in my 2x8 ft King evaporator.  The small one is a 2x4 ft.

I'm building one of these:

image.jpeg

and when my BILsaw the frame and 3 93,000 BTU burners the first thing he said was "build an evaporator tray and use it for syrup, too"

• Heart 1