I'm gonna tell you how its gonna be

Nate

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It really is important that you have stuff to do when you retire.  I know guys who had no hobbies or interests other than work, for the most part.  They really suffered when they retired.  Most either went back to work in some way, either as an advisor/consultant or just taking a part time job at a local store or some such.

I worry about this.  Especially now that work is consuming me.  I have a hard time shutting down when I'm not there.

What do you have for hobbies / interests?

I am planning on a combination of what longjohn, roadrunner, and maxx do - bike riding, exercising, puttering, maybe some interesting projects like maxx does,  I would try kayaking on calm lakes, but I don;t swim, dangit!  Lots of reading too, and maybe eventually I would get bored and decide to do courses or bigger projects or volunteer or something, maybe even a part time job.  But plenty of relaxing is in the plan too.  Lots of people say they don;t want to sit under a palm tree for retaarment, but that sounds good to me, just substitute maple tree. :D

I have been getting more into work lately, but I think can get over that. :D  But it makes it easier to stick it oot for a few more years, whereas before I just wanted the heck oot.  Of course who your boss is is a major factor in work enjoyment, and that is unfortunately luck of the draw, although I suppose smart management could be less likely to put assholes in charge of departments.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I worry about this.  Especially now that work is consuming me.  I have a hard time shutting down when I'm not there.

What do you have for hobbies / interests?

I like working around my house.  I do some woodworking.  I enjoy taking a small project that most people could do in a few hours and turning it into a two week drama.  Once you are retired, OCD actually becomes a helpful trait.  :D

When I retired, I was into classic cars (Roadrunner) and such.  After a few years, I started riding a bike a couple hours a day.  I like walking, doing crosswords, sudoku, and talking to idiots like me on the internet.  I spend some time each day on my health issues.  I have plenty to do.  :)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I like working around my house.  I do some woodworking.  I enjoy taking a small project that most people could do in a few hours and turning it into a two week drama.  Once you are retired, OCD actually becomes a helpful trait.  :D

When I retired, I was into classic cars (Roadrunner) and such.  After a few years, I started riding a bike a couple hours a day.  I like walking, doing crosswords, sudoku, and talking to idiots like me on the internet.  I spend some time each day on my health issues.  I have plenty to do.  :)

Yup!  Slowing down time is a big draw for me.  After years of the workplace rushing, sloooowing down sounds just wonderful, and I am free to ramp it up if I get bored or lethargic.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I would like to do more bike touring but my wife is much more important. I am probably done bike touring. :dontknow:

You can go pretty far in a day!  That's what I want to do, to ramp up the distance to what I used to ride (30-40) miles or more.  There is a lot of new territory in that radius.  But I guess you are more worried of injury than the time away, so kayaking is a lot safer if you know how to swim. :D

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

You can go pretty far in a day!  That's what I want to do, to ramp up the distance to what I used to ride (30-40) miles or more.  There is a lot of new territory in that radius.  But I guess you are more worried of injury than the time away, so kayaking is a lot safer if you know how to swim. :D

I quit working with my autism guy who I really loved but he can be quite the handful when he has a meltdown. I can’t afford another broken rib because I have to be able to care for my wife. This year I mostly fit my rides in between meals. For my birthday ride I fed my wife breakfast and prepared her lunch before I left the house. I returned in time to make supper.