Some thoughts on airline travel

maddmaxx

This isn't about the horrors.  It's about getting there on time with your luggage intact.

Have you ever noticed the differences between airline pilots?

Pilot #1 is very methodical.  On takeoff, he taxis forward on to the runway, stops and sets the brakes, completes his checks and after a while advances the throttles gently and takes off.  On landing he gets on to his final well out from the runway and gradually accomplishes his tasks and lands after a lengthy straight in run. He was probably an Air Force Pilot.

Pilot #2 completes his checks while moving out from the terminal, advances his throttle more than #1 while still on the taxiway and while rolling onto the runway pushes them forward and continues the takeoff.  On landing he rolls onto final with such a bank angle that the passengers on the lower side of the plane can look out and see the end of the runway, full flaps, blam, down.  The passengers often cheer as if their lives have been saved for this pilot.  He was certainly trained in the Navy.

Have you noticed any other differences? 

I remember one January flight I was on, coming back from NYC where the pilot was on approach to landing in Nashville, and he DOVE the airplane at the steepest angle I've ever encountered in any aircraft. I don't know what was going on, but I had a little pucker factor. 

Probably a Russian navy pilot.