It’s Almost Saturday!

Rained last night - gee, that’s new and different. ? What kind of wood do I need for an ark, anyway?

Should be an interesting one today....

Uber Boss is back from his six week sabbatical. He’s a super nice guy, funny and very, very smart....but he’s a physicist, not an engineer. 

One of the things on the to-do list is a cart, to store the parts we’re building, that will then become the shipping container, when the stuff gets shipped to CERN. The parts need to be protected from vibration (among other things) UB has it in his head that the cart needs suspension. I found some casters with springs that will probably do the job. At first, he liked that idea, but now he’s back on the suspension kick. Oh, and did I mention “stubborn” as one of his attributes? Also, we need to focus on MAKING the parts, before we worry about how we’re going to ship them, two years from now....

He’s assigned a young engineering student to design the suspension. Student knows zip about suspension - which is ok, this is how they learn. He’s a sharp kid, but inexperienced. To complicate things, he’s Chinese, and English is not his first language. So anything I try to explain to him has to get run through Google Translate and sometimes things get lost. Conversational English he’s more than fine with, but sometimes explaining concepts -which often requires metaphor - is a bit tough.

My middle boss was at least nice enough to tell me he was going to throw me to the wolves today, while he’s out of town at a conference. ?

YaY.

• Heart 3

It is not actually raining at the moment here. I'm tired of waiting for a nice day.  I am either going to take my kayak to the lake or ride my bike.  They are not calling for lightning so I think the kayak is going to win out.  Foreboding sky but it's just water.

51 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Cloudy day here in Verona. Stuck on the Amtrak while CSX does track inspections. Very much looking forward to our next stops, Rome and Utica. 

You didn't wave! :angry:

Not even when you got the bird's eye view of downtown, from the trestle!  We just paved, and everything. :angry:

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Rained last night - gee, that’s new and different. ? What kind of wood do I need for an ark, anyway?

Should be an interesting one today....

Uber Boss is back from his six week sabbatical. He’s a super nice guy, funny and very, very smart....but he’s a physicist, not an engineer. 

One of the things on the to-do list is a cart, to store the parts we’re building, that will then become the shipping container, when the stuff gets shipped to CERN. The parts need to be protected from vibration (among other things) UB has it in his head that the cart needs suspension. I found some casters with springs that will probably do the job. At first, he liked that idea, but now he’s back on the suspension kick. Oh, and did I mention “stubborn” as one of his attributes? Also, we need to focus on MAKING the parts, before we worry about how we’re going to ship them, two years from now....

He’s assigned a young engineering student to design the suspension. Student knows zip about suspension - which is ok, this is how they learn. He’s a sharp kid, but inexperienced. To complicate things, he’s Chinese, and English is not his first language. So anything I try to explain to him has to get run through Google Translate and sometimes things get lost. Conversational English he’s more than fine with, but sometimes explaining concepts -which often requires metaphor - is a bit tough.

My middle boss was at least nice enough to tell me he was going to throw me to the wolves today, while he’s out of town at a conference. ?

YaY.

Just use bubble wrap.

This morning I will begin my 1200 mile drive home. EDoW is home resting. We got her out of the hospital late Thursday. The last day she was stuck there waiting for test results. Her oncologist called asking why she hadn't been at treatment that day. Was everything ok? 

When told she was still in hospital, oncologist was furious because all symptoms DoW had are common with radiation treatments. We had only gone in because her hemoglobin was low and she needed blood! After the oncologist made a couple calls, she was released in 20 minutes. 

She got her radiation treatment yesterday. Hopefully we are back on track. WoW will come out the week after next and we will repeat the pattern as needed. WoW plans to fly. I will see how I feel after driving back if I want to drive again in 4 weeks, but having my bike with me, and a little windshield time and music helped clear my head. 

4 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Well the one who “horned” me through the palm of a leather glove apparently didn’t get the memo that I was going to let him go.

So did you change your mind about letting him go and take him home and feed him to the cats instead?