Teeth Cleaning then Root Canal then Crown

MickinMD

Today, Tues. AM, I have to shower in a few minutes and get ready for teeth cleaning by my dentist.

Thursday I have an appointment for a root canal at 2 pm.

Then - or maybe today - I have to set up an appointment to have the crown that will be destroyed on the root-canaled tooth replace.

Days of fun!

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is this just a thing we all face as we age?  Is there a starting point where this gets to be on the radar?

Tom

IDK, I'm 43. The tooth I had a root canal on had a filling which was pretty deep. The root somehow got infected causing me pain. Since the filling was close to the nerve he had to canal and crown it.

Had the teeth cleaning. Dr. Gail Myers makes me suffer for waiting too long between appointments.

I had to warn my barber, Charlotte, that my teeth might look a little bloody if I managed a smile during my haircut following the dentist.

This is my first root canal as others noted. Thanks for telling me it's not so bad! I asked the surgeon's office, half an hour away from home in Annapolis, if I needed someone to drive to there and back and was told no, it's not much worse than getting a filling.

I also just learned it won't cost me much if anything: my Carefirst BCBS Traditional Dental pays 100% for a root canal and it should fit-in under my allowed annual benefit of $1500:

5adf7478e54d2_2018RootCanal100to1500.thumb.JPG.6d3336cf30770ba15c0fe514e93a8fb5.JPG

My first root canal was done by an oral surgeon, the dentist that sent me to him told me to have a ride home.

The tooth had an extra root, and they were dug in deep.

The process started with a couple shots to numb me for the novocaine. Then more shots of novocaine than I could count.

The actual canalling took well over an hour. I remember the surgeon stripping down to a tee shirt and climbing on the chair for better leverage. That may have been an hallucination...

He gave me a couple oxycodones before I left, and a prescription for more.

I woke up 14 hours later feeling like I had a broken jaw.

I'm sure that your experience will be much better.  :)     

When you go from teeth cleaning to root canal to crown to implant -- give me a buzz.  Otherwise, fairly routine.  And by the way, the crown is nothing -- it's really just part of the root canal.  Yes, you could just get a filling in there but it won't support and protect the structure of the tooth when you are going in that deep.  With a little luck, you can feel a twinge in your hamstring when they are yanking and drilling the pulp and nerve out.

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

After the teeth cleaning, the Walmart Great Value Beef Stroganoff I bought for dinner, with soft noodles, beef, mushrooms, etc. went well.

I was pleased I was so insightful!

But then I tried to snack on Cheez-its.  WAY too hard and sharp!

So much for insights!

11 hours ago, dotman17 said:

I feel fairly confident I've had more dental work done than anyone in this forum.  I could be wrong -- I've bumped into such poor bastards -- but I got game.  I'm pretty sure there is a BMW or a down payment on a house in my head.

You might have, but I just got a crown last fall and am getting another one tomorrow. My wife is at the dentist right now getting something done with a cracked tooth, and she has had a crown and two bridges in the last six months. So, I'm pretty sure our dentists have a nice vacation planned!