I went by the shop earlier

maddmaxx

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The old TV repair shop that is.  The don't do as much repair work on TV's as they used to but they have branched out into other things like mobile phones with broken screens etc. 

This is an interesting topic.  I imagine, back in the "day" when folks actually did repair their TVs - blown tubes? - there was a shop and tech who took care of that.  I'm not sure what they would charge, but that would likely not be considered "trivial", but worth it versus getting a new TV.  Fast forward 40+ years, and that's sort of the story with cell phones.  Obviously, a cell phone's life span is far shorter than TVs of yesteryear (we had one for like 20 years), but it usually makes sense to repair a one-to-two year old phone (new screen or new battery) rather than to scrap it for a new one.  Repairs, though, of those phones are usually pretty quick and easy and likewise fairly priced.  So, the TV repair guy might be gone, but the cell phone repair guy has taken his place.

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The old TV repair shop that is.  The don't do as much repair work on TV's as they used to but they have branched out into other things like mobile phones with broken screens etc.  My geezer buddy was excited to see me.  "Come to the back and see this thing I'm supposed to fix".  I went, didn't understand what it was though.  

"It's a parody meter that some yoyo brought in for repair.  It's working fine but the yoyo doesn't properly do the self cal before each use.  I'm going to charge him for a repair and before I give it back I'm going to point out the self cal mode switch to him.  He deserves to pay for my time because he's such a yoyo."

Your friend makes great points.  I wonder if he knows my repair guy.  Is your guy certified by the PMAoPMA?

I need to get one of those new fangled meters with the self cal mode you are speaking of.  I still have to do mine with the pedal wrench.

• Heart 3