Peanuts by Charles Schulz for Wed, 10 Feb 2021

Comic Bot

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My stupidity is showing.  I don't see the humor in this.

It looks like a strip from 1974.  I was like you and said WTF is funny about this???? 

I googled the first few words of the quote, and it turns out it is like my "Quick brown fox..." quote - a typing exercise. 

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party" is a phrase first proposed as a typing drill by instructor Charles E. Weller; its use is recounted in his book The Early History of the Typewriter, p. 21 (1918).

You'll note he used "party" not "country", and the "country" quote can not easily be attributed to anything, but the comic - with Peppermint Patty specifically mentioning the typewritten report - makes me think 1) it is referring to the Weller exercise, and 2) it may also be a modification by Schulz for some reason (political or religious?).

Just now, Kzoo said:

broken?            Do you walk to work or do you carry your lunch?

Let me check Google and see if it is the same thing my 8th grade history teacher said.....

Luckily, you have FAR more resources available to you now than the mistakes your history teacher (and perhaps memory) may provide.  I thought my earlier post for jsharr summed it up well.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Don't mess with my old brain.  It could be dangerous.  I admit that 8th grade history was a long time ago and if you UTG you will see that this quote is miss- assigned to our friend Patrick by one than one historian.

Hey, when you're wrong, I guess it is nice to have company :)

But clearly, the misquote - purposeful or not by Schulz - is ONLY funny in the context of the typewritten report using that phrase.  An updated and more recognizable typewriting phrase makes the comic a bit more humorous to the audience.

image.thumb.png.d8c1ce61aa514826da3facc8bf04ba43.png

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Hey, when you're wrong, I guess it is nice to have company :)

But clearly, the misquote - purposeful or not by Schulz - is ONLY funny in the context of the typewritten report using that phrase.  An updated and more recognizable typewriting phrase makes the comic a bit more humorous to the audience.

image.thumb.png.d8c1ce61aa514826da3facc8bf04ba43.png

What........... ever

< yawn >

Comic Bot needs to up her game or she could be gone.

10 minutes ago, Clark said:

Snoopy did the typing.  Here is today's comic.  

...and used typed a typing drill instead of PP's term paper.  Of course, you have to be pretty old to remember using the sentence, "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party" vs the more fun and all inclusive "The quick brown fox..." one.  Comics that made sense in 1974 sometimes lose some value in 2021.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Notebook?

Or textbook.  I figured if your teacher told you it was a Patrick Henry quote, you'd have that in your notes.  Or maybe you just underlined it in your textbook?  I don't know how you did things back then!  It's your memory, not mine.

37 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Or textbook.  I figured if your teacher told you it was a Patrick Henry quote, you'd have that in your notes.  Or maybe you just underlined it in your textbook?  I don't know how you did things back then!  It's your memory, not mine.

It's all locked away up here   <points to finely groomed noggin>