Seen on my commute

Parsnip Totin Jack

Back in the office, week 2. It’s a 32 mile commute. I’m trying different routes. Today I’m on the county parkway heading north. Stopped at the light on Frying Pan Rd. On the east side of the parkway, crossing west, is a young person riding a bicycle. Androgynous teenager with dirty-blonde hair spilling to the nape of the neck from a grey helmet that looked like it used to be white. A backpack, worn under a dingy hi-vis vest gave the appearance of a hunchback. The bike was an 80’s steel framed road bike with the unique spoke pattern of the time that suggested the bike was once considered high-end. The brake levers were Campy, shift levers were old-school down tube and I would bet that the derailleurs were Campy also. I thought to myself, that bike has many stories to tell. The young rider probably has a few as well. 
PS - the tires could’ve used some air

• Heart 4

12 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Back in the office, week 2. It’s a 32 mile commute. I’m trying different routes. Today I’m on the county parkway heading north. Stopped at the light on Frying Pan Rd. On the east side of the parkway, crossing west, is a young person riding a bicycle. Androgynous teenager with dirty-blonde hair spilling to the nape of the neck from a grey helmet that looked like it used to be white. A backpack, worn under a dingy hi-vis vest gave the appearance of a hunchback. The bike was an 80’s steel framed road bike with the unique spoke pattern of the time that suggested the bike was once considered high-end. The brake levers were Campy, shift levers were old-school down tube and I would bet that the derailleurs were Campy also. I thought to myself, that bike has many stories to tell. The young rider probably has a few as well. 
PS - the tires could’ve used some air

Yeah - if a bike makes it that far in life, it has some "history". It certainly is sad to think of all the bikes that, like classic cars, just faded away (or were thrown away).  I don't want an old bike, but I have lots of appreciation for how pretty/cool/unique/historic/etc they often can be.

• Heart 1