Weird habits/attitudes re $

shootingstar

..well, not that wierd. A close friend's hubby has been a financial advisor for past few years. He mentioned that a client in her 80's, widowed grandmother, who clearly has several million, always asks him annually if it's ok for her to "borrow" money from her accounts for grandchildren. :flirtyeyess: :party:

Or now listening a podcast re a former financial planner in our city, over a decade, she had regular client in his 80's with $10 million, no spouse, no kids, no family to bequeath his money. Every winter, his house pipe would burst from over freezing because he was living far too frugally and clearly not heating his house. (We have some super cold winter days..).  :unsure:

I might be the same if I were a rich dude.

I don't know why, I buy a $25 Nike hat, a $25 Under Armour hat, a $65 Beanz hat but I hate to wear them because I don't like the thought of ruining an expensive hat. Even though it's only 35 bucks. 😄

Gina asks why I'm that way.. She says YOU CAN BUY 2 OR 3 HATS EVERY WEEK IF YOU WANTED!!! 😆

• Haha 1

I know my unsweetened matcha latte is not a great habit. How I justify it is that I don't have the cost of using any car annually. I hardly take transit...maybe less than 15 times annually.  (I better phone if my Schwable tire has arrived.)

It actually slightly bummed me out about paying for the iphone, etc. To me, it was a big purchase.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I know my unsweetened matcha latte is not a great habit. How I justify it is that I don't have the cost of using any car annually. I hardly take transit...maybe less than 15 times annually.  (I better phone if my Schwable tire has arrived.)

It actually slightly bummed me out about paying for the iphone, etc. To me, it was a big purchase.

I took you for someone who raked in 300 grand every year. 

You worry about a mocha Latta habit? 😄

Maybe you're like me. I have no problem buying bike tires. I use Continental 5000's. I have no problem buying them,  I buy 3 at a time. 

I just hate using them. 

Same with tubes  just bought 3 more. So I have about 20 extras now. 

But if I get a flat,  I'll patch it. 😄

10 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I took you for someone who raked in 300 grand every year. 

You worry about a mocha Latta habit? 😄

bike tires. I use Continental 5000's. I have no problem buying them,  I buy 3 at a time. 

I just hate using them. 

Same with tubes  just bought 3 more. So I have about 20 extras now. 

But if I get a flat,  I'll patch it. 😄

You know something, dearie gave patching up tubes over 15 yrs. ago. Replace it with new tube. He just couldn't be bothered. He might have had 1 flat on average /yr. He had 4 bikes.

And he and I grew up in very poor families. Meanwhile walking around home, with a hoodie and fluff falling around him because it was disintegrating.  I"m wearing T-shirts at home with ragged necklines and holes. I really push my clothing hard.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

You know something, dearie gave patching up tubes over 15 yrs. ago. Replace it with new tube. He just couldn't be bothered. He might have had 1 flat on average /yr. He had 4 bikes.

And he and I grew up in very poor families. Meanwhile walking around home, with a hoodie and fluff falling around him because it was disintegrating.  I"m wearing T-shirts at home with ragged necklines and holes. I really push my clothing hard.  

I'm the same. I have nice dress shirts, t shirts but I wear t shirts with holes under the arms. 😄.

About 4 years ago   I thought less  but looking at my blog last night. 

I  bought about 10 brand new jerseys within a month.  

All nice but I wear 3 or 4 all the time. 

The other six are put aside for special occasions. Some of those worn twice and even a couple I haven't worn yet.😄...after 4 years. 

A lot of people who have spent a lifetime being frugal and saving money have a hard time switching to "spending" mode.   At some point it may border on a mental issue (such as letting the pipes freeze), but some people can't shake the attitudes they had all their life (or just don't get enjoyment from spending)

My Dad always quoted what he said was a Rockefeller quote that when it comes to money it's important to "spend some, save some and give some away (to charity)"   No idea if that really was their quote, but it's a good idea, even though at various times in my life, I may focus a bit more on one of the goals.

• Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

A lot of people who have spent a lifetime being frugal and saving money have a hard time switching to "spending" mode.   At some point it may border on a mental issue (such as letting the pipes freeze), but some people can't shake the attitudes they had all their life (or just don't get enjoyment from spending)

My Dad always quoted what he said was a Rockefeller quote that when it comes to money it's important to "spend some, save some and give some away (to charity)"   No idea if that really was their quote, but it's a good idea, even though at various times in my life, I may focus a bit more on one of the goals.

Quite frankly I wonder if I'm going to have a psycho-challenge going from saving to deaccumulation mode in retirement. I would hate to go into obsession mode of watching every virtual "dollar".  I know what I was like, when I was unemployed, looking for work. 

However looking back, I'm glad I did take 3-4 wk. international cycling trips each with dearie during the unemployment phases. Each unemployment phase ranged from 3 to 18 months long.

Sometimes there is no better time in life ie. you can't sit around waiting for the "perfect" time in life to share something with a loved one.

I know people joke about me working in public sector/comfy civil servant:  now you know I'm not gonna to collect golden pension for only working a short time period. In my opinion what I"ve had to pull through career-wise long and hard....I deserve the job I have.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

A few years ago, there was a sad case in the STL area where a woman died from heat exposure. She kept her windows closed and wouldn't turn on the AC during the summer. She had about a half million $ in her bank account and a healthy pension check each month. 

Wow...  :(

10 hours ago, Kirby said:

A lot of people who have spent a lifetime being frugal and saving money have a hard time switching to "spending" mode.  

Yeah for decades WoBG and I were frugal.  This was back when finding a new job was difficult.  Our company was going thru cutbacks and downsizing for many years, and we didn't want to be out of a job or homeless or both.  We spent well within our means.  We had ZERO debt for many years. 

That changed when I retired.  Then we spent a shit load of money on a new home.  I felt the pain of spending. 

Then again... old habits don't go away.   We are on track to pay off our 30 year mortgage in 4 1/2 years.  (a little less the 2 years to go)  It will be like getting a HUGE raise.  

• Heart 2

1-2 flights + travel expenses within 2-3 yr. blocks for next decade, after I retire, is probably something I could "spend" money without feeling I was doing something reckless. Note, that some travel would still be in CAnada because of loved ones living all over the country.  Covid isolation has taught hard lesson for some families when not seeing one another in person for several yrs.

Otherwise, I'm not sure about spending desires.

A friend who took early retirement 3 years ago, who is 1 yr. older than I, already has gone on 4 trips internationally (U.S., Europe, Japan) and some trips were group organized bike trips.  I"m not sure I could be like her, re spending. She's on a tear to pack in enough travel while she's still healthy.

Unlike myself, she worked for govn't in various analyst roles for 30+ yrs.