I heard a birds song this morning and it reminded me of my doves.

Longjohn

The Bob White Quail were talking to each other. They don’t have a very big vocabulary. Jax was looking around trying to see them. I think they are under my hedges. The doves all sound alike to me. I don’t know if they communicate with each other or are just sounding off. The robins always make a Annk sound when you get too close to their nest. I thought that was the only sound they made. Then one day as I was soaking in the hot tub I heard a bird singing a beautiful song. It had lots of variation in tone and a melody. I looked around to see what kind of bird was singing and at the top of the apple tree was a Robin singing away. I could tell it was the Robin because I could see it’s lips move.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

My virtuosa piano teacher, the late, great, Frances Cheng-Koors, was known for playing the very difficult piece by the great Franz Liszt, St. Francis of Assisi Preaching to the Birds.

The story goes that St. Francis asked his friends to wait during a walk, while he talked to a flock of birds in a field.  None flew away and appeared to listen as he told them about Jesus.  After he was done the birds flew away and the flock split into the sign of the cross as they did so.

This music symbolically reenacts the story.  It requires numerous crossing of the hands while playing - the left hand jumping from lower notes to higher notes above the right hand and back many times.  The last time I heard Frances play it was at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church in Severna Park, MD, where I recorded the video but it's distant and not very good quality.

Here's a great recording by another Chinese-heritage woman.  Most of the "bird chirping" ends around 4:15 and more usual classical music is heard most of the rest of the way.