So the countown has begun for the top 885 songs by wimmin - I am enjoying a lot of new to me music

Ralphie

39 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I’ve been enjoying Iris Dement, and Nanci Griffith lately. Also The Wailin’ Jenny’s. See if they show up on the list.

There is Patty Griffin, who I always get mixed up with Nancy Griffith.  But it might be easier to remember now that Nancy Griffith is dead.

None yet, but it is early, so I am sure most if not all will show up.

If the long version of "Love To Love You Baby" came on while I was driving I might have to pull over.  People complain about how today's music is dirty....

In the past I think they've sometimes offered a simple spreadsheet listing of the songs, but I'm not sure they do that anymore.  I liked being able to sort by artist and other fun data sortery.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

It is in the OP, but they are being a PITA and only listing maybe 50 or so per page, so there is no easy way to search it AFAIK.

Wait, so this is some crappy internet list and not your own personally curated list of the top 885 songs by wimminz?  I feel slighted and deceived! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

If the long version of "Love To Love You Baby" came on while I was driving I might have to pull over.  People complain about how today's music is dirty....

In the past I think they've sometimes offered a simple spreadsheet listing of the songs, but I'm not sure they do that anymore.  I liked being able to sort by artist and other fun data sortery.

All I see so far is a lame alphabetical filter, but I did see other pages with statistics like number of times people are on it, etc.  Also a songs per decade.

So far Joni has made it a few times, as has Kathleen Edwards, a station favourite.  Saw both Nanci Griffith and Iris Dement for Buff Jim, and Taylor swift once for Trenton. :)  It is a great verity so far.  Candy Stanton was a good oldie.

14 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Man, if you do nothing else, listen to Eva Cassidy’s Over the Rainbow.  Man, every song she touches turns to gold. :)

I heard that yesterday - I don't think I was familiar.  It was on in the background and I became aware of lyrics I recognized but it took me a minute to place them.  That's really a beautiful performance.

meanwhile - Lucinda makes another appearance; should make you happy.

11 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I heard that yesterday - I don't think I was familiar.  It was on in the background and I became aware of lyrics I recognized but it took me a minute to place them.  That's really a beautiful performance.

meanwhile - Lucinda makes another appearance; should make you happy.

Yup!  And Neko for you!  But I am still a tad puzzled that Taylor Swift has stormed in. :D Ahspose there is just no stopping that juggernaut!  Tied with Patty Griffin last I checked, and Patty’s popularity has also taken me a little aback, but ahspose she is another station favourite like Dar Williams.  I am vaguely aware of her, and I can’t place any of her songs right now, but I am sure that I would recognize them.   

• Heart 1

So @Ralphie, I guess we're about halfway through - have any of your songs placed?  You can filter the list by first letter of the song, which makes it a little easier to check on an individual song.  I just did that and nothing from my list has been played yet.  I definitely expect to hear 9 of them, and of those I won't be surprised if they're all in the top 100.  My Neko song won't make it (but of course it should).

I think it was a couple days ago I heard "Is It A Crime" by Sade - I'd forgotten about that one and I think I need to spend more time listening to her.  I was not a fan as a teenager but I'm in a different place now.  You had a Sade song on your list, no?

28 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

So @Ralphie, I guess we're about halfway through - have any of your songs placed?  You can filter the list by first letter of the song, which makes it a little easier to check on an individual song.  I just did that and nothing from my list has been played yet.  I definitely expect to hear 9 of them, and of those I won't be surprised if they're all in the top 100.  My Neko song won't make it (but of course it should).

I think it was a couple days ago I heard "Is It A Crime" by Sade - I'd forgotten about that one and I think I need to spend more time listening to her.  I was not a fan as a teenager but I'm in a different place now.  You had a Sade song on your list, no?

Oh yes, No Ordinary Love. She should have quite a few. I think I saw Soldier of Love already. Yup, I have binged on her YouTubes quite a few times.  I don’t think I have seen any of mine go by. I picked a very obscure kd lang one, but we should see her more popular ones I would think.  

Unfortunately I didn’t keep a record of what I submitted, but of the ones I remember so far, I don’t see any. No Adia, no Metal Firecracker, etc. I can’t temper what garbage sing I put in if any, but could be I’m only happy when it rains or Vow. 

Oh yeah. I really enjoyed the Laura Nyro song on Wednesday. I shoulda thought of her!  But there was no room left anyhoo!  I had to cut oot Bonnie Raitt and Traci Thorn to put in Beth Orton Concrete Sky and maybe What’s Going On? from 4 non blondes with Linda Perry. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Oh yes, No Ordinary Love. She should have quite a few. I think I saw Soldier of Love already. Yup, I have binged on her YouTubes quite a few times.  I don’t think I have seen any of mine go by. I picked a very obscure kd lang one, but we should see her more popular ones I would think.  

Unfortunately I didn’t keep a record of what I submitted, but of the ones I remember so far, I don’t see any. No Adia, no Metal Firecracker, etc. I can’t remember what Garbage song I put in if any, but could be I’m only happy when it rains or Vow. 

On 12/8/2023 at 1:27 PM, Ralphie said:

Only Happy When It Rains was on, so the Garbage box has been checked. :)

Stupid Girl also made it. :)  No kd lang yet, at least AFAIK. :( Iris Dement Our Town was just on, BuffJim!

Madonna is coming on strong lately.  Hmm -  is Taylor Swift the new Madonna?  Seems to me that both have largely wimmin fanbases.

I was a tad surprised to just hear Violet by Hole.  I liked that band!  Malibu might be placing higher - we'll see.

Thankfully a few other people put in Poetry Man from Phoebe Snow.  So if 5000 people voted 10 votes each, it is tough to figure oot because it somewhat depends on how long the tail is on the bell curve.  But I probably had a few one offs which had 0 chance of making it. :D 

Oh, Eva Cassidy is on again with Fields of Gold.  Nice that listeners are aware of the Eva Cassidy story. :)

OK, now the math problem is killing me!  If the ONLY votes were for the top 885 and there are no ties, it would take (8852 * 885)/2 = a shitload, or 392055 votes, according to this - the nth triangular thinghy. 

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/60578/what-is-the-term-for-a-factorial-type-operation-but-with-summation-instead-of-p

So that is the high limit!  To get some kind of realistic estimation of the vote spread, say every person picked one or two or three that made the 885.  Ok, that is too hard to finger oot, but it would be fun if I were smarter and more motivated!  Would make a great computer programming question.  :)  885 potatoe points to whoever finds a way.  I am satisfied just finding that nth triangular number thing that is new to me, and pretty cool, right up there with factorial and Euler's number and pi. :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ralphie said:

OK, now the math problem is killing me!  If the ONLY votes were for the top 885 and there are no ties, it would take (8852 * 885)/2 = a shitload, or 392055 votes, according to this - the nth triangular thinghy. 

I'm not sure I understand the math problem you're talking about...  but I think I have enough math in my day without using it on this. :D

They still haven't played anything from my list... I'm now wondering about "Take A Chance On Me" because we've now heard "Dancing Queen" which I would expect to be the highest-ranking ABBA song.

There's an office/cubicle decorating contest at work and I feel like I should be listening to Christmas music, but I'm too hooked on this.

44 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I'm not sure I understand the math problem you're talking about...  but I think I have enough math in my day without using it on this. :D

They still haven't played anything from my list... I'm now wondering about "Take A Chance On Me" because we've now heard "Dancing Queen" which I would expect to be the highest-ranking ABBA song.

There's an office/cubicle decorating contest at work and I feel like I should be listening to Christmas music, but I'm too hooked on this.

Damn, I meant to listen today!  It is a tough math problem so best left to other people!  Just mainly trying to figure oot what the lowest number of votes it would take to make the list. Ima guessing maybe 5 or so. 1 is obviously oot!  I hope they publish the final voting. 

Like they said yesterday, getting one of yours in the top 10 is the Holy Grail. My best guess at that is probably Big Yellow Taxi from Joni Mitchell. 

I think Adia has a good shot at appearing soon. 

On the math, chances seem pretty good for a plethora of ties. I wonder how they break those?

Ahh, one of my picks is at 248. No Ordinary Love, Sade.

And kd lang is coming in strong. I sort of threw away my vote for her with a very obscure song, In Perfect Dreams.   

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

On the math, chances seem pretty good for a plethora of ties. I wonder how they break those?

I seem to remember back in the glory days of the XPN message boards there would sometimes be short runs of three or four songs in alphabetical order and at the time it was posited that they were clusters of songs with the same number of votes.

In the days of that forum we were interacting with people like David Dye and Dan Reed, but as I recall pressure to release details on the voting and rankings - or, say, how many votes it took to make the list - never bore any fruit.  It is interesting to think about.

Meanwhile Joni continues to widen her lead in the total number of songs placed, and I'm sure plenty more still to come.  I think she will easily hold that lead.

image.png.bf00a4116d5e57ff90b0fa5006ab6f3c.png

2 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I think she will easily hold that lead.

And Lucinda should hold second, too. 

They are playing 32 Flavors by the original Righteous Babe. :D  I can’t quite place the cover of it that got a lot of play. It is on the top of my tongue. 

Had to break down and google it. Alana Davis. :facepalm:

Ahhh, Laura Nyro with Stone Cold Picnic. Nice. :)

4 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Joni Mitchell. 

PBS played this concert a few time earlier in the year.  It was pretty neat to see her honored:

Mitchell was awarded the 2023 Gershwin Prize for her lifetime contributions to popular music.[120] She was celebrated with a concert delivered on March 2 in Washington, D.C., where musicians taking part included Brandi Carlile, Annie Lennox, Angélique Kidjo, Herbie Hancock, Diana Krall, Cyndi Lauper, Graham Nash, James Taylor, Ledisi, Lucius, Marcus Mumford, Sara Bareilles and Celisse. Mitchell performed Gershwin's "Summertime" and participated in all-star renditions of her songs "Big Yellow Taxi" and "The Circle Game".

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

she's widening her lead, and Lucinda has lost hers.  I suspect (on this station) she might get it back, but I'd say I'm not as confident as Ralph.

image.png.ab9de29aa5531ed6e466273c15df8870.png

Yeah, The Pretenders are on fire!

I got another one. 131 - What’s Up  by 4 non blondes. 

No Blue Bayou yet.  Gotta be coming up. 

Restarts at 8 tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Ralphie said:

Yeah, The Pretenders are on fire!

I got another one. 131 - What’s Up  by 4 non blondes. 

No Blue Bayou yet.  Gotta be coming up. 

Restarts at 8 tomorrow. 

Any idea what 20 songs of Joni Mitchell they have used and what are left?  What is triggering such a groundswell of Mitchell dominance?

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Any idea what 20 songs of Joni Mitchell they have used and what are left?  What is triggering such a groundswell of Mitchell dominance?

I like her music well enough but I am a little surprised that she is so popular on this station. She really doesn’t get played on it all that much. Similar for Patty Griffin. 

Unfortunately you have to either know the name of the song you are looking for or  just page through the list to find all the songs from an artist, at least afaik. 

10 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I like her music well enough but I am a little surprised that she is so popular on this station. She really doesn’t get played on it all that much. Similar for Patty Griffin. 

Interesting Madonna & Garbage are in the same list as Mitchell and Lucinda Williams.  I'm not really old enough to appreciate the latter two, so can't pass any real judgment about the list. It just seems hinky.

just heard "Ode To Billie Joe" (at #120) which I put at the top of my list.  

RE my ABBA choice, it occurred to me that maybe the guys' voices are too prominent in that one, and it doesn't qualify.

I guess they should be able to wrap this up today?

The regular playlist search works better for finding songs by an artist.  It looks like the 20 Joni songs played thus far are

Blue Motel Room
Hissing of Summer Lawns
The Last Time I Saw Richard
That Song About The Midway
Raised On Robbery
You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio
For Free
Cactus Tree
Little Green
Down To You
Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire
Chelsea Morning
Court & Spark
Song for Sharon
Hejira
Woodstock
All I Want
Carey
Amelia
California

that's 20.  I know we still have a bunch coming.... Big Yellow Taxi, A Case Of You, River, Coyote, Both Sides Now, Free Man In Paris, Circle Game, Urge For Going...?  I don't listen to the station much anymore as I think I've said, but I feel like they at least used to play a lot of JM music.  I feel like in other best-of countdowns the top 10 would typically be nine male artists and one entry from Joni. 

here's "Car Wheels" for @Ralphie... I had guessed this would be Lucinda's highest ranked song, but since you're more familiar with her catalog maybe you know something I'm missing.  Pretenders aren't done either but no one's catching Joni.  I heard this is supposed to end around 5:45 - I'm going to be tied up and will miss the big reveal, though I feel pretty confident I know what's #1.

image.png.3488b91971931fe55baba64e4372935e.png

7 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

here's "Car Wheels" for @Ralphie... I had guessed this would be Lucinda's highest ranked song, but since you're more familiar with her catalog maybe you know something I'm missing.  Pretenders aren't done either but no one's catching Joni.  I heard this is supposed to end around 5:45 - I'm going to be tied up and will miss the big reveal, though I feel pretty confident I know what's #1.

image.png.3488b91971931fe55baba64e4372935e.png

You are that confident of #1?  What ya got?!

Darn this old timers disease!  I meant to tune in or at least keep tabs on the list at 8am today but I plumb forgot.  I did bring my headphones so I can listen on the way home when I am a car pool passenger. 

I have not checked yet but Lucinda closed her recent show with Joy and Rock and Roll Heart.

The station does play a lot of new music, but I guess this is mostly a cumulative game so the old stuff surfaces.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Lucinda Williams has a good unique sound, but better than Linda Ronstadt, or EmmyLou Harris, not even close.  And where is Edith Piaf? 

I actually enjoyed Barbra Streisand’s people song yesterday, and Celine Dion had at least one, but no Edith yet afaik!  

I don’t remember hearing that much Nina Simone on the station but she is all over this countdown. 

5 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Was that your #1 pick?

no, I didn't have a Fleetwood Mac/McVie song in there.  To be honest I forgot about that one. :blush:   My #1 was "Ode to Billie Joe" played this morning.  I still have five I expect to hear.

I never really cared for Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" but "Back To Black" is outstanding.

Definitely starting to hear the songs that you figure will be the last for that artist.  Like "Because The Night" by Patti Smith, or "You Oughta Know" by Alanis.  And we heard "Brass In Pocket" - is that it for the Pretenders?