carbon fiber fail

bikeman564™

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Sexy bikes are important (less important as I get older), but I am assuming his cranks are as old as his bike, so 12 year old wheels and components and frame, the whole thing.

Why not put the grand towards modern equipment?  He can still get a C'dale with C'dale cranks, but with contemporary bits and pieces, too.

interested in a 2012 cannondale caad10?:whistle:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

this is why I hate carbon, specially when bonded to dissimilar materials.

Yeah... I know about CF to Ti bonding failure.  

My road bike is titanium, except for the fork and the lower part of the seat stays.   Why they use CF in the seat stays?  :dontknow:

On a ride years ago...  the bike just started to stop on it's own.   It didn't take me long to find the frame above the rear brake was rubbing on the tire.  :frantics:   WTF, how does this happen? 

It took me a few minutes and then I found the CF bond broke and the CF part of the stay slid up into the titanium part of the stay.   The Ti frame (which holds the brake) resting on the tire stopped the movement of the collapsing stay, and it stopped the bike too. 

I had to ride slow and miss bumps and stand for the 4 mile ride home.

Merlin fixed (or replaced not sure) the frame for free.    I used my MTB with knobby tires for a 66 mile loop on the Pumpkin Pie Ride that is hosted by the local bike club, because my road bike was in for repairs.

DSCN0957.thumb.JPG.4bd2075de98aade36d36886767371421.JPG

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

interested in a 2012 cannondale caad10?:whistle:

I dunno, I heard they had crank problems, which apparently only happens with Shimano.    :P

You could just get a cheap replacement crank for the old bike and keep it as a backup, and get that new sexy Cannondale

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I dunno, I heard they had crank problems, which apparently only happens with Shimano.    :P

You could just get a cheap replacement crank for the old bike and keep it as a backup, and get that new sexy Cannondale

quit reading shit on the internet :P

crank is cheaper than new bike, that's for damn sure.

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My road bike is titanium, except for the fork and the lower part of the seat stays.   Why they use CF in the seat stays?  :dontknow:

On a ride years ago...  the bike just started to stop on it's own.   It didn't take me long to find the frame above the rear brake was rubbing on the tire.  :frantics:   WTF how does this happen? 

It took me a few minutes and then I found the CF bond broke and the CF part of the stay slid up into the titanium part of the stay.   The Ti frame (which holds the brake) resting on the tire stopped the movement of the collapsing stay, and it stopped the bike too. 

I had to ride slow and miss bumps and stand for the 4 mile ride home.

Merlin fixed (or replaced not sure) the frame for free.    I used my MTB wit knobby tires for a 66 mile loop on the Pumpkin Pie Ride that is hosted by the local bike club, because my road bike was in for repairs.

DSCN0957.thumb.JPG.4bd2075de98aade36d36886767371421.JPG

I remember Serotta had some initial issues with the bonding, too, but the ti frame lugs and carbon tubes and/or stays were a thing for a few years.  I haven't seen new models setup like this for quite a while now, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

:( I remember when carbon frames were new, some manufacturers would have carbon tubes bonded to aluminum lugs. Carbon is very stable thermally, but aluminum moves a lot.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I know about the recall, which was a recall for a reason.  Shimano cranks not under recall are as tough as anything else out there.  Those who think Shimano cranks regularly split are the ones without a clue, ALL the big component companies have had recalls (cranks, among other parts, as happens when manufacturing or material defects occur).

That’s not how I interpret the recall…. Shimano is stating even the  cranks that aren’t under the recall should be checked  frequently.  

Someone can fact check me but it seems Shimano got it wrong with the bonding process on the hollow tech cranks.  Even as they started to fail they continued to manufacture them the same way.  It wasn’t until an unacceptable number of failures occurred (thousands?) did they address the matter.  So it seems Shimano doesn’t have a lot of confidence (or it’s lawyer speak) in the non recalled cranks.

I’m a huge Shimano fan and think they are the best group set hands down.  But they scrood the pooch with that style of crank and they knew it.   But I read your comment as Shimano cranks are as tough as any out there, until they break.  I totally understand Brian’s aversion to them. 

Edit:  I just googled Shimano crank recall and it states 3 million cranks are subject to recall, there are 4,519 REPORTED incidents of failure with 6 injuries, it affected DA and Ultegra Hollow Tech 11 spd cranks.  One report was that the true failure rate was likely closer to 2% but that’s speculation.  Known cases is less than 1%.  

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

That’s not how I interpret the recall…. Shimano is stating even the  cranks that aren’t under the recall should be checked  frequently.  

Someone can fact check me but it seems Shimano got it wrong with the bonding process on the hollow tech cranks.  Even as they started to fail they continued to manufacture them the same way.  It wasn’t until an unacceptable number of failures occurred (thousands?) did they address the matter.  So it seems Shimano doesn’t have a lot of confidence (or it’s lawyer speak) in the non recalled cranks.

I’m a huge Shimano fan and think they are the best group set hands down.  But they scrood the pooch with that style of crank and they knew it.   But I read your comment as Shimano cranks are as tough as any out there, until they break.  I totally understand Brian’s aversion to them. 

Edit:  I just googled Shimano crank recall and it states 3 million cranks are subject to recall, there are 4,519 REPORTED incidents of failure with 6 injuries, it affected DA and Ultegra Hollow Tech 11 spd cranks.  One report was that the true failure rate was likely closer to 2% but that’s speculation.  Known cases is less than 1%.  

I agree. It seems like they knew about it and waited to tell the public.

I'm not sure if I own any Shimano cranks. Maybe my mtb. I certainly don't have any carbon ones.