Another caution flag at Bristol

Kzoo

Fun last 20 laps in traffic.  Hamlin made a mistake with about 16 to go but recovered 2 laps later,

The local kid started in 20th and immediately fell back to the mid 20s.  He languished there all Anand finish 27th.  The other rookie ran well most of the day, completing at the front.  Finished 12th.

1 hour ago, a bunch of numbers said:

It was a good race.  It's been a while since I saw a race with tire issues like that.  Fun to watch all the strategies.

I only remember one worse for tires than that.  The very first race at Talladega Speedway generated speeds so high that the tires were unsafe after just a few laps.  The drivers refused to race and the new drivers union went on strike.  The race was held anyway with replacement drivers.  The race was won by Richard Brickhouse if memory serves, driving one of Richard Petty's cars and stopping for tires about every 12 laps.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

At last, on to Texas next week for some real road racing at the Circuit of the Americas.  Jsharr should go and provide some local commentary for us.

I dislike road racing.

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Funny.  Most people dislike oval racing, not understanding how difficult it is to do left turns over and over with a precision measured in hundredths of seconds.

I understand it I just prefer watching road racing....2 and 3 wheels 

• Like 1

Couple thoughts. I watched a pretty good portion of it yesterday, more so the second half. I'm amazed that the seats looked to be half full.  How is that sport making money?  I remember when every race had every seat full. And I thought there wasn't as much aggressive beatin' & bangin' as there was 20 years ago. Does this generation not want to hurt anyone's feelings?

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Couple thoughts. I watched a pretty good portion of it yesterday, more so the second half. I'm amazed that the seats looked to be half full.  How is that sport making money?  I remember when every race had every seat full. And I thought there wasn't as much aggressive beatin' & bangin' as there was 20 years ago. Does this generation not want to hurt anyone's feelings?

The business model is sponsors and television contracts.  It's the local promoters that take a beating with half full seats.  But then, ticket prices have climbed into the stratosphere to make up for the empty seats.  Look closely at some of the races and find whole sections of seating covered by an advertising banner because the tracks can no longer fill them.

If you'd like to own a track, there are a number of them abandoned or for sale in the south.  Many were worth more as housing tracts than race tracks.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

The business model is sponsors and television contracts.  It's the local promoters that take a beating with half full seats.  But then, ticket prices have climbed into the stratosphere to make up for the empty seats.  Look closely at some of the races and find whole sections of seating covered by an advertising banner because the tracks can no longer fill them.

yeah no kidding. Michigan removed seats from turn 3 & 4. I sat in turn 3