Well I messed up this morning.

maddmaxx

I was doing some cleaning and orderfying on my chromebook when I walked into a power wash without any warning.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Since I never bothered to make an offsite copy of my passwords and stuff I had to rely on google for my saved files.  Well, that didn't work as my last laptop was a windows machine and my long term save files were way out of date.

So I spent the morning refinding all my favorite and important sites and building new passwords.  The only good thing is that I cleaned a lot of garbage from this chromebook.

So I'm back now.  Aren't you sorry.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

6 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I do not understand your story in the least!  Better make up a better one!

I was clearing some things out and at one screen I said yes, clear it and on the next screen "power wash is returning the computer to as new" 

Wait

Wut?

Nooooooooo!

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

I keep my passwords on a text file on my laptop and on my phone.

For passwords, I take a famous phrase I'll remember, preferably a little known one, and sub similar shaped numbers, capitals, and special characters.

For example, one I may use in the future is:

Sened Pass 1943: the first major infiltration attack made by Darby's Rangers and my Dad was in Tunisia.

My password version could be: SenedP@55l943 where "l" is a lower case L.  also I typically add the first two letters in lower case of the site the password is for.

So if this was for my Discover Card page, "di" would be added: SenedP@55l943di.

That's 15 characters and meets the typical 14-16 character recommendation for passwords and it has Upper and lower case letters, numbers and a special character.

The substitutions for the original phrase are my standard algorithm so I just need the original "Sened Pass 1943" to know the password.

Of course it's not secure if a password list on your computer isn't in code.  So this would be on that list as:

Discover Card

ID: MickinMD

PW: Dad in Tunisia + when + 2