? about hydration

Further

How many miles is a long ride and how much water are you consuming.  Today I rode 40 miles, 2:18.  warm but not too hot.  I had two bottles, a 20 oz and a 24 oz.  I drank the last of the water at the end of the ride.  I was severely dehydrated on the drive home.  I ought to consume both bottles in an hour and should have replenished at the turn around but I'm stubborn.

You should be concerned. Drinking just plain water when sweating a lot can cause what is known as 'water intoxication' (AKA dilutional hyponatremia) which can in extreme instances be fatal. Well before that it can slow you down a lot. If you are going to ride long distances with plain water, you need to eat a lot of salty food during the ride such a pretzels. You are much better off drinking a sports drink most of which include salt and potassium. Another possiblity is to use NUUM tablets which add flavor to the water and salt, but not carbs. Or you could just sprinkle some salt into your water bottle, but I've never liked the taste of salt water.

For sweat in the eyes, I highly recommend the Head Sweats Shorty do-rag. Works for me.