Today's Ride - more than you ever cared to know about Verona and Sylvan beaches

26 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Cool that you have your own little Gitchigoomie

There's usually an Edmund Fitzgerald or two every year. One time some drunk idiot hit the end of the breakwater at full tilt, in the dark. His 19' long boat suddenly became a 19' TALL boat and he and his passengers fell on to the jagged rocks. It didn't end well.

Another time, they had been looking for a missing boater. I was walking in the water out front of the house. I stepped down and the bottom "gave" under my foot and came back up again. I freaked the fuck out.

Turned out it was a tire, buried in the sand. :whistle:

Once, there was a notice that the family of a paraplegic  who had drowned in a boating accident were looking for the cane he used to use. Said paraplegic wasn't wearing a lifejacket. ?

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Further said:

Great tour. If I lived there now I'd probably visit. Is there a perimeter path? 

This was just part of the east end. I didn't include Edgewater a little further to the north. Probably should have. (If you want to sell a place in Edgewater, you have to do it in September. In the winter, the wind howling through there from 26 miles away would nix a sale, as would the high water in the spring. During the summer, the wind pushes all matter of flotsam and jetsam into that corner, where it sinks and biodegrades. When the lake turns over, it smells like Satan's ass crack).

There is a loop I sometimes do around the whole lake. The north shore is more picturesque and quieter, traffic-wise, but the pavement is absolute shit. Several folks from the forum have done this with me.

IMG_0056.thumb.PNG.f3905ce4e24116ded6c129c41ff84e7e.PNG

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Cool that you have your own little Gitchigoomie.  Nice travelogue. :)

Heh, re-read this and was reminded of one time when the Gales of November came early.

Late fall and someone who was sailing from Lake Ontario to North Carolina got caught in some rough weather and their pumps failed. The boat started taking on water, so they headed inshore, where we lived, and ran aground. (It's really, really shallow for a long ways out). They waded through the freezing water to my ex inlaws' back door and knocked. They were explaining the situation to my ex MIL and all the while they were talking to her, they were trying to edge past her because they could see the wood stove, over her shoulder! ?

11 hours ago, Kirby said:

Very interesting.  I love getting these little tours of areas where the Forumite live and travel.  Thanks.

It's a blessing and a curse having lived here as long as I have. I know where all the bodies are buried. (Literally, in some cases)

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

He's not fooling.  He really does know.

Maybe not, in that particular case - as I said I heard rumors they don't really know where he was planted and rumors that the highway crew ran into the grave site when widening the road.

• 3 years later...