Small town USA

Dirtyhip

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

@Razors Edge gives great advice -- not.  He thinks Hawaii is a paradise.  But he forgets that the northern winds are changing and thus far less water is heading that way.  Not only that, but he's only visited there as a visitor and it was an oasis from the hell hole tech biz he works under.  But living in HI would give him cabin fever and unless he goes to Maui -- he can kiss his biking endeavors goodbye.  And just about everything he's used to must be shipped over -- so unless paying $9 for a gallon of milk, for example, is your thing -- get ready to get gauged.  Not only that, the electricity on the islands almost all comes from imported oil.  Of course, you won't have those winters to heat your home but the point is -- almost all your goods are going to be imported.  Finally, from a man who likes to extend his thinking, dude has obviously never experienced island fever.  Folks over there can't wait to get the hell off it when they can. Finally++, the real estate is insane because big money wants a piece of it -- and not just from the States..  Like most things, you gotta have monies to get in.

I'm not letting this gem get hidden as the last post on the previous page.  Read it and weep, Thomas.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Dottles said:

@Razors Edge gives great advice -- not.  He thinks Hawaii is a paradise.  But he forgets that the northern winds are changing and thus far less water is heading that way.  Not only that, but he's only visited there as a visitor and it was an oasis from the hell hole tech biz he works under.  But living in HI would give him cabin fever and unless he goes to Maui -- he can kiss his biking endeavors goodbye.  And just about everything he's used to must be shipped over -- so unless paying $9 for a gallon of milk, for example, is your thing -- get ready to get gauged.  Not only that, the electricity on the islands almost all comes from imported oil.  Of course, you won't have those winters to heat your home but the point is -- almost all your goods are going to be imported.  Finally, from a man who likes to extend his thinking, dude has obviously never experienced island fever.  Folks over there can't wait to get the hell off it when they can. Finally++, the real estate is insane because big money wants a piece of it -- and not just from the States..  Like most things, you gotta have monies to get in.

So, long story short, you're saying Dennis' poll is full of crap?  Just, not in his thread, but over here instead?

16 hours ago, Dottles said:

I noticed most those places had small populations.  Coincidence?  I'm thinking no.

Hawaii does have it's share of social problems, just like anywhere else.  

The biggest turn off for me is cost.  This state is nowhere near what I can afford with 4% withdrawal rate.  We will be living a somewhat lean F.I.R.E. lifestyle.  

Also, island fever would hit me hard. In about three months, I would have tracked out an island.

Hey, where was @Razors Edge when I wanted to move to Kauai and live in a van.  Those were fun days, when I was more immature and thought that could possibly work.  LMAO 

35 minutes ago, Dottles said:
3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hey, where was @Razors Edge when I wanted to move to Kauai and live in a van.  Those were fun days, when I was more immature and thought that could possibly work.  LMAO 

Sshhhhhhh.  He's going on so well... ?

I'm trying to restart the party here!  Hey, either 1st place means something or it doesn't.  I see Hawaii at the top of Dennis' list AND I see countless bad weather threads in the Cafe, and I put two and two together and get HAWAII!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm trying to restart the party here!  Hey, either 1st place means something or it doesn't.  I see Hawaii at the top of Dennis' list AND I see countless bad weather threads in the Cafe, and I put two and two together and get HAWAII!

It is too expensive.  If you can't afford to live there, you aren't going to be happy.  I tend to worry when my roof and food are in jeopardy.