The e-bike files

Dottleshead

So yesterday I rode the e-bike 31 miles and rode it pretty hard with my wife and friend.  Today I am a little sore.  A couple things to note.  For some reason, I went through 80% of my battery yesterday and I'm not really sure why.  My guess is it was a quick charge and didn't really load it up to max.  Second thing is advantages:  e-bike still is great for riding hills or into a head wind.  No gain going downhill and and about an average of 2 mph higher riding on the levels.  What does all this mean?  Well it means you can ride greater distances in shorter times -- and you are a heckuva lot dryer (no more pools of sweat).  But the scope of the distance is obviously limited to the battery power as mentioned above.  If time, pools of sweat, or speed aren't important to you -- or even screwing around with charging a battery, then you don't need an e-bike.

My personal feeling is an e-bike has it's place.  I think they make greater commuter bikes and are good for folks like me that are surrounded by hills.  But there's no way I'll be ditching my touring bike.  Never.  In fact, I can't wait to get back on it. I probably will get on it next weekend.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How is that possible? Is the bike a lot less aero?

I guess I just didn't have the proper measurements, amigo.  But yeah, my bike is a trekking bike so it has a flat bar and is more upright.  The battery doesn't kick in when you are coasting or going above 20 mph.  And let me remind you putzes dolts that failed physics -- a bowling ball and marble each reach the earth at the same time when dropped from the same distance. So your e-bike tank isn't going faster.  Duh.

23 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I guess I just didn't have the proper measurements, amigo.  But yeah, my bike is a trekking bike so it has a flat bar and is more upright.  The battery doesn't kick in when you are coasting or going above 20 mph.  And let me remind you putzes dolts that failed physics -- a bowling ball and marble each reach the earth at the same time when dropped from the same distance. So your e-bike tank isn't going faster.  Duh.

You ride in a vacuum?  Interesting.

46 minutes ago, Dottie said:

And let me remind you putzes dolts that failed physics -- a bowling ball and marble each reach the earth at the same time when dropped from the same distance. So your e-bike tank isn't going faster.  Duh.

Well, I did well in all the physics classes (up to nuclear, that was a rough one)  and generally believed that in the absence of aerodynamics, that the falling object will fall at the same rate, BUT, I pass an awful lot of folks on downhills.

'Splain that Mr. Wizard!

• Heart 1

Just now, 2Far said:

Well, I did well in all the physics classes (up to nuclear, that was a rough one)  and generally believed that in the absence of aerodynamics, that the falling object will fall at the same rate, BUT, I pass an awful lot of folks on downhills.

'Splain that Mr. Wizard!

Yep. We don't live in a vacuum. It's a sort of real world application of physics that quickly proves that there is more to the equation than Dottles must think.

Ebikes are a big thing in much of Europe now. Half of all bike sales in Germany are ebikes. There's a million (literally) in China, although most of them are pretty crude.

Like here, they are just taking off in England, although I get the impression there are a lot more brands to chose from.

As the cost of car ownership rises relative to income, you are going to see more interest in other forms of transportation. But I have to admit, winter is going to remain a big problem.

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

'Splain that Mr. Wizard!

This is 'applied' physics.

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep. We don't live in a vacuum. It's a sort of real world application of physics that quickly proves that there is more to the equation than Dottles must think.

Dude, the video.  Watch the video.  No vacuum.  Or are you speaking figuratively?  Facetiously?  Emotionally?  Vaguely?  Existentially?  Posthumously??  Sexy?  I dunno, man.  I dunno.

Just now, Dottie said:

Dude, the video.  Watch the video.  No vacuum.  Or are you speaking figuratively?  Facetiously?  Emotionally?  Vaguely?  Existentially?  Posthumously??  Sexy?  I dunno, man.  I dunno.

I get it. You were just kidding about that video having anything to do with cycling and descending.  No worries..

It's a fun video.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I get it. You were just kidding about that video having anything to do with cycling and descending.  No worries..

It's a fun video.

Oh, I see.  You're talking about resistance.  But it's basically the same.  I mean, there are differences -- but come on amigo -- that delta is small.  

Don't make me go into standard deviations.  Speaking of deviations -- you're a strong deviator.  

Just now, Dottie said:

Oh, I see.  You're talking about resistance.  But it's basically the same.  I mean, there are differences -- but come on amigo -- that delta is small.  

Don't make me go into standard deviations.  Speaking of deviations -- you're a strong deviator.  

You will remain wrong. Anyone who rides a bike (or even a skateboard) knows that the heavier person gets down the hills faster.  It just is what it is. And it is what stumps me about your ebike being equal to you regular bike.  I think it just might mean your hills are short.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You will remain wrong. Anyone who rides a bike (or even a skateboard) knows that the heavier person gets down the hills faster.  It just is what it is. And it is what stumps me about your ebike being equal to you regular bike.  I think it just might mean your hills are short.

Don't try to dodge the point.  You are a Noob and a deviator.  Your attempt to conceal this through your scientific bla-bla-blah-blah-BLAH jargon is not fooling anyone.

12 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Don't try to dodge the point.  You are a Noob and a deviator.  Your attempt to conceal this through your scientific bla-bla-blah-blah-BLAH jargon is not fooling anyone.

The n00b is right and Dottie is wrong.  Mark the date.  The n00b is never right.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe this is a "tag you're it" situation???? Dottles is the new n00b?????!!!!!!!??????

Sorry.... NO

Dottie will argue his defenseless position until we can't take it any more but that does not make him a n00b.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The MTB ones are no fun to ride downhill.  Beastly tank.  Ick

I tried a large, so it was huge for me, but with the lowered seat it was fine.  

I'm glad I have it.  No doubt.  But I'm looking forward to getting back on my regular bike.  Please note I say that until I have to ride up hill home for an hour destroying me and the rest of my day.