My butterfly garden is paying off

Forum Administrator

Massive butterfly swarms becoming the talk of Tahoe

There aren't enough to block out the sun, but social media posts out of the Lake Tahoe area show enough swarming butterflies to get just about anyone who encounters them to pull over and start taking pictures.

While some think the butterflies are migrating monarchs — which have been declining at an alarming rate in California — the Reno Gazette-Journal identifies them as California tortoiseshell butterflies that are visiting the Sierra in search of the remnant of our winter snow pack.

The butterflies are known to frequent beaches and puddles in search of salt from the soil, according to the newspaper.

The bugs can be identified by their orange and red wings, and social media posts show them swarming in a few locations around the region".

...I'm here to tell you I've never seen anything like it in the Sierra.  And I've been going up there regularly since I moved here in the early '80's.  There was butterfly carnage on I 80 and state 267 from them crossing the roads and getting hit by cars.  The whole hatch is probably a freak of conditions and weather, but nonetheless very impressive.