Oh, Deer! (no, I didn't kill anything!)

Nate

so I went out in the woods after work today. It's first week of archery season here, and one of my favorite times to be in the woods. There's no guns going off yet and the animals are still relaxed. You get to see things you don't get to see later in the season.

so this evening I was on a small hill with a creek behind me on the other side of the hill and a deep draw about 50 yards in front. I found a big game trail, I mean big like this is a deer hiway, last month right through this spot and I'm 20 yards off of it with the wind blowing across me from the trail. The suns setting in that direction too, which isn't the best, but the wind is all you really need to see animals.

At dusk a make a deer grunt noise and in about 10 minutes 3 doe are moving up the draw strait to my front. It's really pretty neat to be out in the woods and be a part of the scene to the point that big animals start walking right towards you.

The deer are picking their way through the woods parallel to the trail and just to the other side of me. At 30 yards she must have caught wind of me, but this time of year she didn't just bolt. They really wanted to come through this way, so she and the other two behind her cautiously continue toward me.

Then I saw her do something I had never seen before. There was a tree a little more than half way between me and her. She stopped. She's staring dead at me and I'm still as anything. She looks to one side of the tree, then the other. She is looking to see if I have moved. I haven't. She does it some more, three, four times. I only have a buck tag, so I still haven't moved. She takes a step forward

We are now fully in the same clearing. I'm not in full archery hunting gear or anything like that. I'm just sitting there on the ground on a tree seat with my pack and quiver leaned up on the tree beside me.

Then I got to hear a deer sound I didn't even know they could make...it was like "EEEK"

and they all three ran off like...well...spooked deer!

• Heart 4

by rifle season they don't even take time to snort, they just run. that's what I like about this time of year

it was a high pitched bleat. Sounded like "EEEK".  I learned to call to them talking to the deer in the woods behind my place. I've never heard that sound before

it was worth the hike in for sure

My husband ran over a skunk recently and it went MEOOOOOW!

He was cooking down the trail.  The skunk came out and turned to run away and he ran it over, before he had time to stop or anything.  It went... MEOOOOOWWWW!

He came home and told me "I didn't know skunks meow."  

I've heard that sound...

I was actually squirrel hunting with a pellet gun in the woods near where I grew up.  I was walking up this rather large hill and apparently a doe was doing the same thing on the other side of the hill.....we both crested at the same time.  After about a 5 second staring match, she screamed that sound and bolted back down the hill.....I know I'm not pretty, but that really didn't help the ego.

I've heard that sound...

it's kinda funny to hear them make a sound like that, isn't it?

"EEEK" was the best way I could spell it, but its a high pitched bleat coming out of this big ol deer

have you ever heard a rabbit scream?  They really do.

yes I have. Especially in spring. I'll have the windows open at night and I'll hear a baby rabbit getting got by something out there. They sound almost human

And celery for a garnish in the glass?  Have you tried vodka instead of gasoline?  If you use vodka, you also want a shot or two of Tabasco sauce.

hey, you'll still want a little shot of gasoline to give it that kick