A blast from my past

jsharr

Not sure if I ever shared this with ya'll.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/96721634/Historic-Sharrock-Farmstead

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20120908-city-of-dallas-working-to-restore-remnants-of-frontier-farm-for-public-viewing-education.ece

I am a direct descendant of Everard Sharrock Sr.  Got to do visit the cabin and barn with the architect in the story.  Was pretty cool to walk on ground that my ancestors farmed in Dallas' early days.

Cool part is that the cabin sits on the edge of Camp Wisdom, a scout camp owned by the BSA.  Since we owned 960 acres around the cabin, much of the BSA camp is on former Sharrock land.  Every time I have camped there in the last 7 years, I have just been returning home in a way.  

We can trace our roots back to a James Sharrock that was pressed into service by the British during the Revolution, deserted upon reaching America and fought for the American army.  After the war, he settled in New York City, married Jane Everard and eventually moved to Guernsey County Ohio on land he was given in recognition of his service in the army.  

How far back can you or have you traced your roots.

• Heart 1

That's totally awesome!  I know a few stories, but know very little officially. I've never truly tried doing any real family heritage research. The closest I know is that my first family over here was in the 1800s. I believe it was my great, great grandfather. He came here from Germany. His last name was Holbin (as was mine until my step-father adopted me when I was 10).

We are supposedly descendants of Hans Holbein, who was a semi-famous renaissance artist. If so, none of his artistic talent was passed to my genes.

• Heart 1

most people don't know what their granddad even did for a living

my mom's family is Irish and thier family history actually goes back the the 11th century

Of the recent stuff, my great-great-great-great granddad, John Doyle, was a privateer. During the War of 1812 he was running the English blockade and was named a pirate by the Royal Navy.  They chased him to the shoals off the Amazon, where he eluded them and dumped his illegal cargo. he then picked his way back up to Philadelphia, where he sold his ship. Brilliant, really. He went from being a wanted man on the high seas to an Irishman in Philadelphia with a pocket full of cash

He bought a bunch of land in what is now the city of Philadelphia

My grandma told me of our Uncle Alph who inhertited the property. It was housing tenements by the early 1900s and Alph was a sort of philanthropist. There's all sorts of stories in the family about his charity to the people who lived inhis buildings.

Anyway, when Alph died, he was unmarried and childless and so he gave the property to all of the people who lived in his buildings as thier permenent home and their personal property.

That was the end of our ownership of the land John Doyle bought with the money from his ship in 1812

• Heart 1

Not sure if I ever shared this with ya'll.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20120908-city-of-dallas-working-to-restore-remnants-of-frontier-farm-for-public-viewing-education.ece

I am a direct descendant of Everard Sharrock Sr.  Got to do visit the cabin and barn with the architect in the story.  Was pretty cool to walk on ground that my ancestors farmed in Dallas' early days.

Cool part is that the cabin sits on the edge of Camp Wisdom, a scout camp owned by the BSA.  Since we owned 960 acres around the cabin, much of the BSA camp is on former Sharrock land.  Every time I have camped there in the last 7 years, I have just been returning home in a way.  

We can trace our roots back to a James Sharrock that was pressed into service by the British during the Revolution, deserted upon reaching America and fought for the American army.  After the war, he settled in New York City, married Jane Everard and eventually moved to Guernsey County Ohio on land he was given in recognition of his service in the army.  

How far back can you or have you traced your roots.

Very cool.  :)

That is incredibly cool.  I love all the old flags of Texas.

http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dewitt/indepenflgs.htm

In the article above, the flag is shown with the red and blue fields reversed from what you show, but your relative is quoted in the article, saying the blue field had the star in it and it was flown next to the staff, supporting the image you show.

you know how we had to take Texas history in public school there in Texas,  JSharr?

I'm telling you, they taught us about his relative in that class. I remember the "Betsy Ross of Texas" part of that story from high school

• Heart 1

Ok...if we're disclosing family history.....it appears I am related to John Wesley Hardin...if you aint familiar with him, you should look him up sometime.

don't yall go to snoring around Modo. From what I understand, that don't sit too well with his family at all

Yep, my oldest is taking Texas history right now.  We just made a shield together as they were studying the Texas Indian tribes.  I am still trying to see if our family is eligible for admission into the Sons of the Republic of Texas, as there is some disagreement as to when we arrived.

I can claim to be a Son of the American Revolution, a son of the Civil War both on both sides I believe, and hopefully a son of the Republic of Texas.

My wife is a Hardin.  Not sure if she is related to John Wesley though,  We could be relatives.  Don't that just put lumps in your gravy?!

better get one of those sleep machines before she weights you down with lead