Preference on lenses for gravel riding in bright daylight?

groupw

I rode yesterday on the gravel about mid day. It was a nice day, but I noticed I was really struggling to get visual contrast on the road surface. I wasn't seeing pits in the road or washboard until I was almost on it. My riding glasses are an older pair of photochromic lenses that have lost some of their tinting ability. I'm in the market for some new shades and seeing details in the gravel would be good. Thoughts?

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, groupw said:

Thoughts?

My thought is this is a great question for sure! :) I definitely run into those transitional lighting conditions more on the gravel - shaded roads with mixed surfaces usually - than on the roads, and regardless, I don't like the split second (or more) where my eyes are adjusting!   I wear glasses - prescription sun glasses that are great in FULL sun, but definitely less so in partial sun or shade without some time for my eyes to dilate.  I've never done "transitions" or the like, but I would wonder how they do in the rapid shade-full-shade-full lighting I often get out there.

So you are not needing prescription, just good sunglasses?  I think Dennis is on the right track of "horses for courses" where a few swappable options might be best - whether multiple pairs depending upon the conditions or lenses that can be traded depending upon the average lighting expected.  Smith shows some options for different lighting conditions, and that may be a good starting point for consideration if just going with ONE pair.  Seemingly, the rose and light amber - which aren't as shaded, would be best, but would likely be a bit more taxing on your eyes if in bright light longer than expected.

image.png.d7a65c5595c442e2b11991f0ccef9379.png

• Heart 1

I had some Oakley’s with a dark green tint which was great for bright days  as they filter light well and offer high contrast.  I loved them for bright riding conditions.  

However I also wore them as my everyday glasses and scratched them up so switched to the original lenses which are smoke/dark grey and don’t like them as much as the green.  I also have some rose colored lenses that are good for overcast days which are common out here.

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My thought is this is a great question for sure! :) I definitely run into those transitional lighting conditions more on the gravel - shaded roads with mixed surfaces usually - than on the roads, and regardless, I don't like the split second (or more) where my eyes are adjusting!   I wear glasses - prescription sun glasses that are great in FULL sun, but definitely less so in partial sun or shade without some time for my eyes to dilate.  I've never done "transitions" or the like, but I would wonder how they do in the rapid shade-full-shade-full lighting I often get out there.

So you are not needing prescription, just good sunglasses?  I think Dennis is on the right track of "horses for courses" where a few swappable options might be best - whether multiple pairs depending upon the conditions or lenses that can be traded depending upon the average lighting expected.  Smith shows some options for different lighting conditions, and that may be a good starting point for consideration if just going with ONE pair.  Seemingly, the rose and light amber - which aren't as shaded, would be best, but would likely be a bit more taxing on your eyes if in bright light longer than expected.

image.png.d7a65c5595c442e2b11991f0ccef9379.png

My transitions are fine with the dark light transitions in everyday life but they don’t transition quickly enough for the tunnels or bright to shade to bright you get when riding.

I have been wearing my new RX transitions glasses with good results on the road but tend to wear lenses with sunglasses off road as I don’t like the blurriness when the glasses are bouncing around on my face.

@groupw I’m a huge Oakley fan boy for performance sunglasses. I have Radar frames & multiple lenses with different colors I can snap in & go.  I’ll probably pick up another set of the green iridium lenses I referenced earlier as I really liked them. 

• Heart 1

I've been advised that some "yellow" clip ons will enhance my night vision.  It sounds like the chromapops will do that and help in the spring and fall when the leaves are gone from the trees on my trail.  The bare trees leave stark black and bright shadows across the trail on bright sunlight days.

@Razors Edge, I wear contacts with glasses when riding. I prefer riding glasses with the tapered edges to control the wind better. Turbulence around the edge of glasses is a thing here just because it is windy even if you're not riding fast. 

I had Transitions lenses in my previous pair of daily glasses. I agree they don't lighten up fast enough especially if it is cooler. It is a known issue they are working on, but it is a chemical process and cooler temps make it slower. 

Lots of help here. Thanks guys! Feel free to keep it coming!