Do they still make and have rules about steel-studded snow tires?

MickinMD

When I went to grad school at IIT in the 70's, it was common for people in Chicago to have steel-studded snow tires due to frequent snow and ice - sometimes it would snow every day for a week or two, an inch or so at a time.  They were almost unheard of in Maryland.

BUT, since those tires had a bad effect on road surfaces, there were laws about when they could be on vehicles.

In 1975, the Illinois law was that they had to be removed by the end of March.  So it snowed 3 feet on April 1!  They called it the April Fools Blizzard.  I happened to be working all night in the lab with three other grad students when it began snowing heavy around 6 am.  By 7 am, cars were pulling into the parking lots, looking around and driving away.  By noon we couldn't exit the door on one side of the building because of a high drift and used cardboard boxes to shovel away snow so we could get out of the doors on the other side.

Because so many cars and trucks no longer had snow tires. the roads became blocked, snowplows couldn't get through, etc.

One couple of chemists lived in the married couple apartments on campus and we slept on their floor and ate their food for the next 3 days until they finally cleared the roads and Elevated/Subway tracks.

I rode the "L" trains between IIT and my apartment for several days and let my car sit on one of the lots at IIT.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Zephyr said:

In the Provinces where I have lived they are legal but there is a set date you are allowed to put them on and set date they must be removed from the vehicle.

That's what happened when I was in Chicago in 1975: 3 feet of snow the day after studded tires had to be removed!

48 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

That's what happened when I was in Chicago in 1975: 3 feet of snow the day after studded tires had to be removed!

I have seen that too with a freak storm...., and remember spending some time talking a Jr member down when he wanted to write someone up for having studded tires after the date when the roads were still ice covered.

I had a 'Don't be a dick" speech I use to give newbies for times like that

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

Yep.

Toyo-Observe-G3-Ice_lg_super.jpg

Section 11.13.02.10 - Studded Snow Tires A. The purpose of this regulation is to regulate the sale and use of studded snow tires in Maryland and to establish standards for tire studs pursuant to the authority contained in Transportation Article, § 22.405.2, Annotated Code of Maryland. B. Sale and Use of Studded Snow Tires. (1) A person may not sell or offer for sale studded snow tires in this State except in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties.

(2) From November 1 through March 31, vehicles registered in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties may be equipped with studded snow tires and may be operated only in Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties

--------------------------

Studded snow tires

Studded snow tires are permitted in Virginia, but only from October 15 to April 15. The Code of Virginia states:

§ 46.2-1044. Cleats, etc., on tires; chains; tires with studs.
No tire on a vehicle moved on a highway shall have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, spike, or any other protuberance of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire. It shall be permissible, however, to use on the highways farm machinery having protuberances which will not injure the highway and to use tire chains of reasonable proportions when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid. It shall also be permissible to use on any vehicle whose gross weight does not exceed 10,000 pounds tires with studs which project no more than one-sixteenth of an inch beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire when compressed if the studs cover no more than three percent of the traction surface of the tire.