Checked My Chains

Razors Edge

...on my road & MTB and my wife's bike.  My road was OK and I definitely need to review my records because the last time looks like it was in April of 2019(!) so close to 20,000 miles will seem too much.  Maybe I missed noting it down???

The MTB and wife's have new chains coming. 

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

My 11-speed road bike is close to needing a new chain. I already have a new SRAM chain in my spare parts bin.

Yep - both the Tarmac and the Diverge run the same 11sp chain, so I have those on the shelf.  But oddly, I either don't have or couldn't find a 6-8sp chain in my bike stuff (albeit, I did not dig through the "almost junk parts" box).  I just can't imagine, though, that I haven't changed the chain in over 4 years.  Weird. I think I must have just not recorded it. :dontknow:

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I might consider chain replacement next yr.

Well, it's shouldn't really be a "consideration" :)  It's either worn or not.  Check it and see.  Assuming regular care, only the elongation of the chain would be a reason to change it.  Time or mileage are pretty irrelevant, because conditions and care will be what limit or extend the "average" lifespan.