Low Impact

Parr8hed

6 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I have been exploring low impact rides more lately while dealing with this stupid achilles tendonitis.  I actually feel pretty decent.  Today, no heel pain just a feeling of tightness in my right foot/ankle/achilles.  I think the standing while riding affects it.  

Seems like there just might be more benefits to keeping the HR lower during a workout.  Today I stayed around 115-125 the whole 30 min.  No climbing out of the saddle and no cadence over 100 or resistance over 50 % .  This keeps me in zone 1-2 the whole ride.  

I've been reading up on cortisone levels and recovery and it seems as if this may be a better route for me most mornings.  

Still been doing the 20 min of Yoga every day post ride and doing the stretching my PT recommended.  I ordered some cold compression thingies off the amazons so we will see if those help post ride as well while I am drinking my coffee.  

I went for a walk Sunday.  1.7 miles at a 22:30 minute/mile pace.  I was gimping around like a lame cow after that.  This is what pisses me off.  I SHOULD be able to walk a leisurely 1.7 miles without feeling all beat up afterwards.  

Anyways.... I got in my ride this morning.  Have not missed one yet.  My heels feel good.  I drove my truck today.  My play list was all 90's country and there was light traffic.  It has been a pretty good morning. 

I started riding a bike for the first time in decades at age 60 because of bad Achilles tendons - one operated on and the other lots of physical therapy - that would ache the next day if I did more than 3 miles walking or running.

The guy who sold it to me put the seat 1.5" lower than he fitted me to sit so I wouldn't be stretching the tendons much.

Within three years, the tendons had healed without the thousands of shocks from contact with the ground on every step.  They had bothered me since the late 90's when I did too much exercise when coaching the high school cross country team, etc.

Later, the Ravens' Ray Lewis said it was bicycling that got his legs back into shape when he couldn't run like he used to.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I started riding a bike for the first time in decades at age 60 because of bad Achilles tendons - one operated on and the other lots of physical therapy - that would ache the next day if I did more than 3 miles walking or running.

The guy who sold it to me put the seat 1.5" lower than he fitted me to sit so I wouldn't be stretching the tendons much.

Within three years, the tendons had healed without the thousands of shocks from contact with the ground on every step.  They had bothered me since the late 90's when I did too much exercise when coaching the high school cross country team, etc.

Later, the Ravens' Ray Lewis said it was bicycling that got his legs back into shape when he couldn't run like he used to.

Interesting.  I will take a look at my saddle height.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:
1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Expand  

Interesting.  I will take a look at my saddle height.

https://www.blackberryclinic.co.uk/articles/achilles-tendon-pain-and-cycling/