Good luck: lawsuit by multiple school boards against some social media firms

shootingstar

TikTok, Snapchat respond as Ontario school boards sue social media giants | CBC News   I understand several states having launched seperately their own lawsuits.

I agree 7-8 hrs. daily use for several months/years, by students can impair their focus, class learning, etc.  And several studies across 5,000+ CAnadian students about their phone use and social media content consumption, etc. plus neurophysiological studies on insufficient development for parts of brain for more executive functions, etc.  In the end, it doesn't address also how to get some parents to become a positive influence.  :mellow:  So variable.

Several times, I've seen a parent glued to their iphone for over 1/2 hr., and young child under 8 yrs. bored and trying to get attention of parent while we were there all sitting at separate cafe tables.  Or allowing kids have iphones at dinner table / restaurant table.  There's actually no need. Zero.

It makes one wonder how successful these lawsuits will be.

38 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A friend of mine living in China tells me Tik Tok is a STEM based site there with no silly social media content.  Maybe the Chinese are trying to dumb us down?

I wish I could believe your friend. If what he says is true, there is censorship also.  Well duh.

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

A friend of mine living in China tells me Tik Tok is a STEM based site there with no silly social media content.  Maybe the Chinese are trying to dumb us down?

Have you seen us?  (or US?)  We are way ahead of them on the stupid side, they don't really have to do a thing to dumb us down.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

"Maybe"?  TikTok - even under a future US owner - will be as dangerous or more than Facebook or Instagram or Twitter.  

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Maybe"?  TikTok - even under a future US owner - will be as dangerous or more than Facebook or Instagram or Twitter.  

Ok..clearly my dumbness shows:  what is it about TikTok that makes it particularily threatening?  How different is the content, other than the fact,  usually it's live little insane/casual videos meant to suck in viewer?

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Ok..clearly my dumbness shows:  what is it about TikTok that makes it particularily threatening?  How different is the content, other than the fact it usually are live little insane/casual videos meant to suck in viewer?

It's the process of feeding the NEXT video.  This is a problem across all media platforms, but TikTok is directly controlled by a foreign adversary with a REASON to tweak the algorithm to distort reality.

Ask yourself why conspiracy theories are so prevalent these days in some quarters. It is because the process preys upon folks by incrementally increasing the "volume" until a user is down a hole filled with patently absurd ideas, but having been groomed by dozens/hundreds/thousands of prior posts/videos that took them from mild curiosity in how a container ship operates to the Jewish space lasers activated the COVID nanobots in the illegal boat crew's brains to have them plow into a bridge piling where they found a hidden below deck pizza parlor filled with Epstein's young sex slaves.

• Heart 2

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's the process of feeding the NEXT video.  This is a problem across all media platforms, but TikTok is directly controlled by a foreign adversary with a REASON to tweak the algorithm to distort reality.

Ask yourself why conspiracy theories are so prevalent these days in some quarters. It is because the process preys upon folks by incrementally increasing the "volume" until a user is down a hole filled with patently absurd ideas, but having been groomed by dozens/hundreds/thousands of prior posts/videos that took them from mild curiosity in how a container ship operates to the Jewish space lasers activated the COVID nanobots in the illegal boat crew's brains to have them plow into a bridge piling where they found a hidden below deck pizza parlor filled with Epstein's young sex slaves.

Don't forget the bus load of invaders at the Michigan airports.  This is the real danger if social media.  It affords a platform for idiots to make quasi official lies that are believed by other idiots.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Don't forget the bus load of invaders at the Michigan airports.  This is the real danger if social media.  It affords a platform for idiots to make quasi official lies that are believed by other idiots.

That person took a likely long journey from something simple to eventually lead to that wacky world view.  Brainwashing is not immediate.

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That person took a likely long journey from something simple to eventually lead to that wacky world view.  Brainwashing is not immediate.

But so very very effective.  Goebbels would have been so proud.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

The students in those school board districts feel differently. At least those interviewed. Not surprising. Some say just take the phones away instead of court case launch:

Students react as Ontario school boards sue social media giants | CBC News

Some meth addicts want their meth readily available, some know they can't be given that "choice". :dontknow:  The kids LOVE TikTok, but that's sort of the point.  Sadly, TikTok is just the easy one because it's a Chinese company and a threat. The "insider threats" of Twitter/X or Meta/Facebook/Instagram are just as bad/corrosive, but harder to justify regulating (a four letter word) in any way - even around the threat to kids.  It's easy to over-blow this, but also easy to think it will correct itself. 

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Some meth addicts want their meth readily available, some know they can't be given that "choice". :dontknow:  The kids LOVE TikTok, but that's sort of the point.  Sadly, TikTok is just the easy one because it's a Chinese company and a threat. The "insider threats" of Twitter/X or Meta/Facebook/Instagram are just as bad/corrosive, but harder to justify regulating (a four letter word) in any way - even around the threat to kids.  It's easy to over-blow this, but also easy to think it will correct itself. 

I'm not convinced a court case on the media companies is  overriding best solution.  But it does indicate a degree of desperation the teachers in classrooms must deal with and what they witness in learning /non-learning behaviours too often.  The teachers often also sense in dealing with parents....that it can be the home environment and how long /soon young children are allowed to use /be on their cellphones.

And the school's authority could only be how /when personal cellphones of children can be used or taken away  --in school.  That's all.  It doesn't address what happens at home /outside of school.

It is an administrative thing to take away the cellphones from ie. teens at school.  I think 95% of the children will cooperate, then there's always occasional 5% or less, who won't/play games.  ie. have a hidden cellphone elsewhere on them.