Why do most tangerines suck ass?

Randomguy

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

They are picked too soon.  My aunt has a tangelo tree and they are by nature on the tart side.  But when left to completely ripen the tart/sweet is amazing. 

Most times I find they are tartless, tasteless, and are just kinda there.  I wish they tasted like something.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Most times I find they are tartless, tasteless, and are just kinda there.  I wish they tasted like something.

Tangerine & tangelos ripen later than other citrus so are peak now (I need to visit my aunt!).  There is a huge tangerine tree in my community that hangs over into the green belt and I often pick those I can reach.  They are amazing.  

Generally speaking store bought citrus in general sucks, especially when you have access to tree ripened fruit.  My pro tip on store bought citrus is to pick them up and take the heaviest fruit in the pile. I literally compare their weight & put back the lighter ones.   Weight = juicer and often sweeter.  

• Thank You 2

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have another friend who loves them, too.  Too grapefruity for me, though.

I always SORT of liked grapefroot, so this is a good alternative since grapefroot conflicts with medicine I take. Full disclosure though, I ate it only when I was a kiddo and I applied a thin layer of sugar on top to render it edible. 

21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The undisputed heavy weight champion of the citrus fruit world is Cuties!  Easy to peel, easy to segment and almost always super juicy and super sweet.   

The Pom Winderful packing plant in central CA was a client of mine.   Unbeknownst to most is that there was a split in ownership some years back and the current “Cuties” are not the same fruit as the previous Cuties.  

With the split, one owner got the name and buys fruit from other growers. Many feel quality dropped after the split.   Pom Wonderful kept the orchards and rebranded as Halo’s.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

.Pom Wonderful kept the orchards and rebranded as Halo’s.  

The LGS has Halos and...some other brand. I never really paid attention to which ones I bought, but noticed sometimes they're pretty good, sometimes -meh-. Maybe it's the Halos I've liked better. I'll have to do some research.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The Pom Winderful packing plant in central CA was a client of mine.   Unbeknownst to most is that there was a split in ownership some years back and the current “Cuties” are not the same fruit as the previous Cuties.  

With the split, one owner got the name and buys fruit from other growers. Many feel quality dropped after the split.   Pom Wonderful kept the orchards and rebranded as Halo’s.  

I wll make sure to buy Halos.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Oh yeah, with the creepy little girl doing their ads!

17 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I love Clementines.

My type-II diabetes doesn't.

I miss a lot of citrus fruit!

On my new food plan I had to cut fruit. That was the hardest sacrifice for me. I’d never eat rice again to eat some fruit…

I buy Fresca now and that seems to satisfy my evening fruit cravings.