A Day Trip For DH

Razors Edge

Nice trailer, but I do not like the setup.  It is too expensive for what it is.  You are still sleeping in a tent.  There is far too much setup for making bed.   To really live in one, it is nice to have a proper shelter.  A tent doesn't cut it, IMHO.  There are some necessities for vanlife. 

For me: 

A real table, indoors.

A bed that you don't have to take apart daily.  

A roof over your head, and this does not mean a tent.  Shelter from bugs and rain is pretty important.  When that tent gets wet, you are going to have to collapse it while it is wet.

Heating is pretty nice, if you start going into shoulder season or winter.  We sometimes run a dry came with no operational plumbing during that season.  Still, that heater is a luxury that I don't want to be without below 40 degrees.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Nice trailer, but I do not like the setup.  It is too expensive for what it is.  You are still sleeping in a tent.  There is far too much setup for making bed.   To really live in one, it is nice to have a proper shelter.  A tent doesn't cut it, IMHO.  There are some necessities for vanlife. 

For me: 

A real table, indoors.

A roof over your head, and this does not mean a tent.  Shelter from bugs and rain is pretty important.  When that tent gets wet, you are going to have to collapse it while it is wet.

Heating is pretty nice, if you start going into shoulder season or winter.  We sometimes run a dry came with no operational plumbing during that season.  Still, that heater is a luxury that I don't want to be without below 40 degrees.

I was reading about the Winnebago Revel recently, and it is close to what I would want.  Still not perfect, but getting there.

Tom

Agreed, very sweet.  Super expensive though.  Also, I have heard that these vans do not have great service history.  I recently had some mechanics tell me that they are terrible.  

Really, a nice truck and a smallish camper is working out really well for us.  The camper was only 5 grand. It works great.  The fridge is the best part of the camper.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

For me: 

A real table, indoors.

How aboot this one then, eh?

https://rbcomponents.com/products/sawtooth-04

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Really, a nice truck and a smallish camper is working out really well for us.  The camper was only 5 grand. It works great.  The fridge is the best part of the camper.

I don't need a fridge.  I do like the indoor heat.

DSC01894.jpg.e127fb939fa240d53a2e1ef23a222a64.jpg

Morning coffee is always good.

20171209_072113.thumb.jpg.adc75f1fd00dde786683b5d189595d7d.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Kinda worthless in the rain. And way too complicated. 

After a bit more thought.... This is a modern day chuck wagon. It makes sense if dragged along to support a bunch of people engaged in some kind of adventure or outdoor work camp.

11 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I don't need a fridge.  I do like the indoor heat.

DSC01894.jpg.e127fb939fa240d53a2e1ef23a222a64.jpg

Morning coffee is always good.

20171209_072113.thumb.jpg.adc75f1fd00dde786683b5d189595d7d.jpg

Love that, mate. There is a dude on our TVs a good deal, ex services type and survivalist instructor, name of Ray Mears, he has similar to yours, and I’ve allus hankered after trying it myself.

16 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Agreed, very sweet.  Super expensive though.  Also, I have heard that these vans do not have great service history.  I recently had some mechanics tell me that they are terrible.  

I’ve allus gone the DIY route with vans, I’ve fitted out two big ones, the last one was the Merc 508, and I had that on the road for 20 happy years, before it went to the happy camping ground in the skies. And having done without now for about 8 years or so, I have been persuaded by daughter and sister into taking the plunge again, but thought it was beyond me to do a conversion again, so looked around for something ready to go, possibly even a caravan and a vehicle to tow it. Once I started looking I was soon so displeased with what I saw, all the things I didn’t like and would need to change - eg, none have proper fires - I just thought What’s the point? If I’m going to have to do that, why not go all in, and start from scratch with an empty shell: I know what works for me, and I know nothing I can buy ready made is that. So, looking for the empty van right now with a budget of 2 to 3 thou, should get me something tidy, with plenty of life left in it, and I’m looking forward to getting on with it.

3 hours ago, pedalphile said:

What’s the point? If I’m going to have to do that, why not go all in, and start from scratch with an empty shell: I know what works for me, and I know nothing I can buy ready made is that. So, looking for the empty van right now with a budget of 2 to 3 thou, should get me something tidy, with plenty of life left in it, and I’m looking forward to getting on with it.

Awesome!  It would be neat if you documented it in some way for us :D  Maybe a before, during, and after series.  

Tom

• Awesome 1

53 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Yes it would, and I shall.

Considering we have different vans/vehicles in general than you, what are the vans you are considering?  I think you have quite a few more options to choose from than us, and in a variety of sizes.

Tom