Were you a smoker?

Randomguy

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

If I were still addicted to nicotine (is there ever a time we truly become free of it?)..."

I guess it varies with the individual. For the first two weeks after quitting it was difficult for me. After that the strong desire to smoke was much less. Still, over the first several years after I quit, there would be times I really wanted a cigarette. I don't know if it was nicotine memory or the cigarettes-make-you-relax memory.

Anyway, to this day I would resume smoking if there were no harmful effects.  But I don't have those "wish I could smoke" desires anymore.

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I guess it varies with the individual. For the first two weeks after quitting it was difficult for me. After that the strong desire to smoke was much less. Still, over the first several years after I quit, there would be times I really wanted a cigarette. I don't know if it was nicotine memory or the cigarettes-make-you-relax memory.

Anyway, to this day I would resume smoking if there were no harmful effects.  But I don't have those "wish I could smoke" desires anymore.

Awesome!  For the most part I don't either and the more time passes -- the better it is.  But a year and 2/3rds later, I still get those random thoughts.  And walking past cigarette smoke still smells kind of good and not repulsive yet.  But in time it will.