My Brother-in-Law is a strange dude

JerrySTL

We've been moving him out of his apartment to assisted living for the past couple of months. Here's some of what we found.

There were 10 large boxes sealed up and said "Do Not Open Until Dec 10". Most were filled with about 50 lbs of books. He had bed bugs in 2010 and starving the bugs is a way to kill them. Still the boxes hadn't been opened in 9 years.

He has enough nail clippers for each finger and toe plus a few extra. Still his nails are way too long.

He has over 20 belts and all but 2 have never been used.

Over 100 ties.

He was taking out books and DVDs from 4 different libraries and not returning them. He really doesn't read and his DVD player was broken.

Same goes with the NY Times paper. He subscribed to it but the papers were never read. They were neatly stacked.

He had over 10 radios for a small apartment. Also 4 sets of pots and pans but didn't cook.

He didn't turn on his AC even though he lived on the top floor of a south-facing building. He also didn't open his windows because there was a funeral home next door and that freaked him out.

I could go on and on. It's good that we were able to get rid of a lot of crap plus now the assisted living facility will keep him fed and on his meds. Now we just need to get his finances straightened out as bes possible.

• Heart 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Psychiatric, or just for physical illnesses? If Psych, OCD, or frank psychosis? I just had a long talk with my friend about his OCD hoarding mother, and my hoarding GM. It’s really frustrating.

Just physical. He's on the autism spectrum but was able to hold a job for 20 years and drive a car. But no psych drugs yet.

• Heart 2

New low or high depending on how you look at it. WoJSTL found a couple of business cards for a dry cleaners. BIL is missing a suit jacket and Patti called to see if they had it. Actually BIL has a $350 bill there with lots of clothing including underwear! Seems that when he decided to stop doing his own laundry a few months ago, he figured that he's have the dry cleaners do his tighty-whities! I'm tempted to have them put extra starch in his underwear.

• Haha 3