My First Post With My New Laptop

MickinMD

I got a "new" HP certified-refurbished laptop.  It was $499 from Focus Camera, a 3rd Party vendor through Walmart.com, has a 17.3" screen, quad core 2.7 to 3.6 GHz processor, 2 TB hard drive (I do home video editing and keep a lot of files on the computer as well as 200 MB of chess stuff), 12 GB RAM, Windows 10, WiFi, Bluetooth, a DVD burner (used mainly to convert old family videos to files) and all the bells-and-whistles in terms of ports, front-facing camera, etc.

When I got my last, very similar laptop from Focus Camera, I had to send the first two back before I got a working one - one wouldn't boot up the setup screen and then they sent me one with the wrong power plug - so I'm happy this started up with the standard initial set-up screen, etc. and seems perfect. I only used that company again because I couldn't find the same quality computer for less than $900 elsewhere.  I use Firefox browser, had exported my "Bookmarks" to a file, then imported them after I installed Firefox on my new laptop and it even installed all the Addons I have on the other one like Adblock Plus, and Smart RSS.  So I'm in business and can slowly add the other software at my leisure.

I thought I had destroyed the sound system on my laptop for a couple days until -as I mentioned in a recent post- I discovered Windows 10's "troubleshooter" had disconnected it by deleting the driver.  In the meantime I had ordered a new laptop for $499, not waiting to see if I could fix the existing one because it's really hard to find a refurbished laptop available with 2 TB storage that meets the requirements I listed - most of the time I can't find one listed on Walmart.com or other cheap places or else its close to $1000.  New they're around $1600.

So, after fixing the sound on my laptop, which has been heavily used and is getting beat up - some of the names of the letters have worn off the keyboard, the DVD drive's outside part is loose, etc. - I wondered if I should keep the "new" HP certified refurbished laptop - it is passed back through the assembly line and looks like new - not a scratch on it.  It also has some upgrades over my beat-up one.

I'm trying it out for a couple weeks to make sure everything's working perfectly, and then putting it away until my starting-to-fall-apart previous laptop (similar numbers but slightly slower processor) reaches back-up-only quality, probably less than a year.  Of course, the disadvantage is that the warranty will expire before I use it much, but the refurbished computers only have a 90 day warranty anyway and it's been my experience that if they work fine for a week, they're good to go for the long-term.

• Heart 3