Do you play Shnarps?

Prophet Zacharia

Heard of it? If so, are you Canadian?

I learned of this card game while reading a book about minor league hockey players and their routines while riding buses between games. Maybe it was Ken Dryden’s “Game Change”?  Every player is dealt 5 cards, and a round of bidding occurs as to who will win the most tricks. High bidder selects the trump suit. If spades is trump, or if “1” is the high bid, everyone is in. Otherwise you can select to play or sit out the round. But after two consecutive “sits”, you must play the next hand.

everyone starts with 16 points, the goal is to get to 0 to win. If you’re high bidder, you must win at least the number of tricks you bid, if so you subtract the number of tricks you win from your score. Else you get +5. Everyone else needs only 1 trick to avoid the dreaded +5, again with each won trick subtracted from your score. If you reach 32, you’re game is over.

if you win, you get all the points of your opponents. I play it on my phone. Nice to have computer scoring. Tough to win, I’m now 49-59 for the month, but have won 3085 “coins” this month (may as well be potato points as they are redeemable for nothing). Good game, though.