Disney Is Screwed Up!

Razors Edge

...with their classic "Disney" branded stuff.  All these AWFUL remakes of their moneymakers - Lion King, Alladin, and now Lady & the Tramp????  WTF?  Do folks actually want to see these?

Getting Marvel and Star Wars was smart, and will save their bacon.

Scamming people by applying a brand name to cheap stuff is a long established practices by unethical people.

Over half a century ago, Shirley Phillips and her husband set up Phillips Restaurant in Ocean City, Maryland. It became THE place to get seafood there. Eventually it expanded to more restaurants.

Several years ago, it began a frozen food line.  Free cooked samples of the poor-quality frozen crabcakes were given out at a Costco one day and I remarked to the servers, "This is NOT a Phillips crabcake!"  One of them said, "I'm Shirley's grandson and I guarantee this is from Phillips!"

I replied, "I've eaten crabcakes made by Shirley herself many times. THIS is nowhere near that quality and it's clearly much less % crab."

He idiotically said, "Well, you can't expect that quality in frozen food."

I replied, "You mean freezing it reduces the % crab and the taste? Tell that to Marie Callender!"

On one of the PBS Episodes of "Coastal Cooking" done by local Maryland chef John Shields, Shirley's real recipe was accidentally revealed - then subsequently deleted. But the recipe was copied by a number of online sites and is still available.

There are many recipe variations of Maryland Crabcakes, but Shirley Phillips' recipe is one of the most liked. Here it is, cut and pasted from my recipe file. Most people prefer the non-greasy broiled version below, seasoning it with tartar sauce:

Miss Shirley's Eastern Shore Crab Cakes

John Shields c.2004 Coastal Cooking with John Shields 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/miss-shirleys-eastern-shore-crab-cakes-232203#

Shirley Phillips was raised on Hooper Island, Maryland, in Chesapeake Bay, and grew up surrounded by the finest seafood imaginable. Given her upbringing, it's not surprising that she married a waterman, Brice Phillips. The couple made their way to Ocean City, Maryland, and opened a crab shack, selling "jimmies" — heavy, fat, perfectly seasoned crabs — to tourists and locals alike.

Almost fifty years later, that roadside crab shack has evolved into one of the largest seafood operations in America, Phillips Foods. Miss Shirley is still a part of the daily operation of her signature Ocean City restaurant, which serves thousands of crab cakes every season. According to Shirley, the secret to a good crab cake is good crab, lots of lumps, and simple seasoning.

Yield

: Serves 6 (Mickey’s note: serves more like 4: make into 8 or even 4 balls instead of 12).

Ingredients

1. 2 eggs

2. 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

3. 2 teaspoons lemon juice

4. 2 teaspoons crab seasoning, such as Phillips' seafood seasoning (Mickey's note: Old Bay seafood seasoning works great)

5. 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

6. 2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise

7. 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

8. 2 pounds jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over

9. 4 slices white bread, crumbled (Mick’s Note: torn or cut into small 1/2"- 3/4" pieces)

10. Vegetable oil, for frying (Mick’s Note: most prefer broiled, where a little oil is usually brushed-on)

11. Soda crackers for serving

1. Tasty Tartar Sauce Mickey’s Note: from a food store or the additional John Shield’s recipe for Tartar Sauce at the bottom of this recipe file.

Preparation

1. In a medium-size bowl, thoroughly combine the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice crab seasoning, parsley, mayonnaise and mustards.

2. Place the crabmeat in a large bowl gently fold in the breadcrumbs and the egg mixture so as not to break up the lumps. Shape into 12 slightly flattened balls and chill for at least 1 hour.

2. To fry the crab cakes:

1. Pour oil into the skillet to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches. Heat the oil to 370and fry the crab cakes, a couple at a time, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spatula to paper towels to drain.

3. To broil:

1. Place crab cakes under a preheated broiler, turning to cook evenly, until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

2. Serve with soda crackers and tartar sauce.

Coastal Cooking with John Shields, by John Shields, Broadway Books

Tartar Sauce Recipe

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/tasty-tartar-sauce-232202

Ingredients

1. 1 cup mayonnaise

2. 1 tablespoon minced shallots

3. 1/2 cup minced sour pickles, such as dill or cornichon

4. 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drained

5. 1 teaspoon capers in vinegar, drained and chopped

6. Dash of lemon juice

7. 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh or bottled horseradish, or to taste

Preparation

1. Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Chill before serving.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1