As Promised...

UglyBob

Can you tell me what a pantser is vs a plotter?  Is it more of a person who just starts writing without a developed plot line in advance?  You are or were a pantser?

I googled and got this:

A pantser starts at the beginning and lets the characters and situation determine what happens next. She might have some general idea of where the story is going to end, but how she'll get from A to B is up to what she discovers as she writes. Both are legitimate ways to write a book.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Can you tell me what a pantser is vs a plotter?  Is it more of a person who just starts writing without a developed plot line in advance?  You are or were a pantser?

I googled and got this:

A pantser starts at the beginning and lets the characters and situation determine what happens next. She might have some general idea of where the story is going to end, but how she'll get from A to B is up to what she discovers as she writes. Both are legitimate ways to write a book.

That's pretty much it. A pantser is someone who writes by the seat of their pants, rather than laying the whole story in an outline before hand. We call those people plotters (and anal-retentive). Is thruth, the more we reite, the more we become what's called a plantser--we start out with a little better picture of where we're going, but still not a full outline.

2 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

That's pretty much it. A pantser is someone who writes by the seat of their pants, rather than laying the whole story in an outline before hand. We call those people plotters (and anal-retentive). Is thruth, the more we reite, the more we become what's called a plantser--we start out with a little better picture of where we're going, but still not a full outline.

And, if I just poked around on the blog you linked, I'd even see posts about pantsing!  Again, you literary folks are using the term wrong (SW got it right), but I'm starting to get it.

image.png.38dfa63aaacdb5f590b16ffa755a196f.png

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And, if I just poked around on the blog you linked, I'd even see posts about pantsing!  Again, you literary folks are using the term wrong (SW got it right), but I'm starting to get it.

image.png.38dfa63aaacdb5f590b16ffa755a196f.png

Yeah, we kind of have our own language...

Thanks so much for the logline info.

I had one short story in our high school's Literary Magazine and, ever since, have wanted to find the time to develop better writing skills.

I've been toying with the idea of doing some fiction writing and may take some creative writing and prerequisite classes at my alma mater, UMBC, as guided by its professors where I can take them for free if the classes are not filled by paying students.

Meanwhile, I've got some books and workbooks on developing creative writing skills to make me think and better understand what I'd be getting into. Here's one example:

524466701_TitlePage.JPG.15308e8fbfcb7d5b20b8d1411bd262a7.JPG878710337_TableofContents.JPG.c5ec1658139a34aebb0ff2ed9f1dadf6.JPG

Some Exercises:

47499571_YourTurnExamplep.68-PlotStructure.JPG.b28884b98c7cfd14af245c500f149094.JPG1484846562_YourTurnExamplep.81-FirstPerson.JPG.9e4dc3c681f0526d34e518234aea61c0.JPG142018928_YourTurnExamplep.174-Voices.JPG.c6d08bcac2f91ed924924f8d7922f8a2.JPG1213477064_YourTurnExamplep.202-Theme.JPG.701126b4743df9788aa4b8ffb0847e17.JPG

• Heart 1