Trust experts vs. grassroots practical people

shootingstar

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A sad commentary on anti-intellectualism that has been around for decades (centuries? forever?).

For sure, I think as a reader and listener there are ways of checking out sources for what an "expert" says and put it against experiences of others.  Sad thing is that the Internet does give us way more info. than every before but harder for some folks to distinguish what is fake vs. real information plus their sources.

For instance my parents really didn't get much into Chinese traditional medicine and some of the ying-yang theories. (hot vs. cold)  I think out of all that maybe 10% of the advice is good... given their high school level of education.  But then again, we were rarely subjected to the herbal medicine/folk medicine.  There IS value particularily in the areas of how to approach eating in a balanced, healthy way.

I'm not certain what helped them listen especially to health experts.  But it helps ALOT to have their children become educated on the science of it...and it turn for us to explain the benefits weighed against any negative side effects.  It helps if the "expert" or the person who knows more about the subject matter, has your best interests in mind...health wise, financially and for mental health.

To get an idea of how often people make choices based on clearly non-expert information, all you have to do is look at the NFL, etc. players who can barely read the cue card while doing commercials for banks, car dealerships, etc. They wouldn't be hired if they didn't cause people to buy because of their recommendations!