American dazed and confused in a Canadian grocery store.

Rattlecan

10 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I am not sure it is even still a thing in Ontario, but know it is still common in the Maritimes.

Very much still a thing in Ontario. You can buy milk in cartons, but you pay almost as much for a 2 litre carton as you do for a 4 litre bag, so there isn't much advantage there.

Mac's Milk, formerly Beckers, still packages milk in jugs, but not common elsewhere.

• Heart 1

Most of the stuff - besides milk in a bag - are sold in my local supermarkets and it makes me wonder if these guys ever shop in supermarkets back in the States.

When I lived in Toronto for four months in 1975 - finishing grad research that counted at IIT after my advisor became Chem. Dept. Chairnan at U of Toronto before I was done at IIT, there weren't many things that were different than the USA in terms of food, but I lived in and joined a frat house that had hired a homeless drunk found in the red-light district to cook and shop for food and gave him a room, so I didn't do any major shopping.

The big things I remember was that cans of Coke were in 10 oz. cans, not 12 oz, and I had been conditioned to miss the difference.  Most beer and ale products were strong tasting and would all be "ales" in the USA. A French Canadian girl I dated said she never liked beer until she drank the milder American beer I had.

The was a small diner car that served sandwiches, chips, and drinks that sat near the Chemistry Building at the U. of Toronto and there was enough animosity between French and English Canadians that if I ordered in French, I noticed I got more tuna on my sandwich.

• Heart 1