What to drink?

Short rides I'll just take water, but for longer rides I've been using Heed for the past couple of years.

I can't explain it, but it just isn't working for me anymore. It doesn't upset my stomach, or make me sick, but I find I just don't want to reach for a bottle as much as I should.

I have tried stevia as a sweetener before in my tea and hated it. Heed has stevia and xylitol in it. I suspect it is that combination that is irking me.

I know I'll get a 100 different answers, but I wanted to see what others like.

I've never tried anything that I was impressed with.  I try to avoid artificial sweeteners.  On an organized ride with rest stops I'll drink what they have.  On a solo ride I usually use some FRS powder that I bought in quantity expecting it to be better than it was. I always make sure I get some electrolytes on an all day ride.

I find Heed works best for me for medium rides (40-60 miles).  For those club rides I wear a 70-oz camelbak and 20 oz of Heed.  For centuries and double centuries I add a 20 oz bottle of Perpetuem, and I wear a 100-oz camelbak.

For solo rides of 20-40 miles from Oct thru April I will just take 2 water bottles.

I hated Heed.  It just tasted wrong to me.  I hear it is great stuff, I just thought it had a bad taste.  Now, I love recoverite.  I drink it often post ride.

I do GU tabs in one water bottle sometimes.  My camelback is 100 ozs of plain water. 

I have only drank lemon-lime Heed.  I can understand the problem with taste, though.   I was out a couple of weeks ago and bought a packed of melon flavored Heed from a Tri shop in the mall.  Never again!!!

with Hammer Perpetuem, I settled on Orange-Vanilla, which suprisingly enough, had very little or no taste. 

Before using the Hammer products, I mixed Accelerade.  It was better than Gatorade, but I didnt like it as well as Heed

Heed had 2 fake sugars. I think those have been wearing on me. I just bought some skratch labs stuff. I'll see if that is better.

keep trying until you find what works for you.  I dont use a sports drink for rides under 50 miles if the temp is 80 or less.  I mainly use them for centuries and doubles.  That said I will try a new or different sports drink a time or 2 on club rides (60 miles) to see how I like them and if they upset my stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

I have belly issues and sometimes need a Lactaid type pill when I drink Gatorade during a ride. I don't have that problem with Skratch Labs hydration mix. I totally love that stuff.  If it's a fairly long ride, I'll pack half a turkey sammich!  But mostly water and the Skratch products.

• Heart 1

I don't have those sort of issues. I've used Gatorade made from the mix for years. Longer than I can remember. I learned it from Greg LeMond's book way back in the old days

I mix it about half as strong as you get in the stores. I learned that from Greg. I mix it weaker than that in high heat

what I find is that there is just enough preservatives in Gatorade to keep the stuff from fermenting on a long ride (a long ride for me used to mean over 3 hours)  and there's just enough flavoring to cover the taste of water that's been in a water bottle for hours on a hot day in July

If you are riding for less than 2 hours, it really doesn't matter, but if you are riding for a while, you have to have a little bit of carbohydrates in your system to burn fat. So that's why its better to find something other than just water that works for you if you ride more than 2 hours at a shot

other than that, you drink whatever doesn't make you puke or cramp, and its different for everybody

like how smudge eats a turkey sandwich on a long ride. I would puke if I ate any meat before or during a ride. So everybody's different

• Heart 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...