Sometimes I think British people are insane

Randomguy

14 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

That is just wrong on so may levels.  Fries themselves have no business masquerading as a food.  Especially ones that are mushy inside, like those sure look to be.  Bad, truly bad.

The proper way to make French Fries is to cut the potatoes into raw fries and then wash the fries in a bowl twice for about 30 seconds each time, running your fingers through the fries to stir them around and draining the water afterward. I pat them dry with a paper towel now before baking them on a shallow pan in a 425-450F oven, drizzling a little olive oil on them and stirring them to coat them all. I usually prefer baby gold potatoes with their skins on, cut into wedges instead of traditional fries. By the way, a similar procedure is done by Chinese, Thai, etc. restaurants and homes with raw rice before cooking it.  That removes a lot of starch so your fries are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside - that's how the fast-food restaurants did it when they auto-peeled and sliced their own potatoes in the old days and how some like 5 Guys do it now.