Why motorsickle racers don’t wear seatbelts

Longjohn

The video was gone when I went back to try again to get the link. A road racer lost it on a turn, he was sliding on the track alongside his bike. When they got to the edge of the track the rider kept sliding on his butt but the bike dug in on the grass and started flipping end over end. Parts flying off the bike with every revolution. The bike broke in half and the two halves kept flipping. The rider was already back on his feet halfway through all this with his hands in the air and a WTF look on his face.

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The bike broke in half and the two halves kept flipping. The rider was already back on his feet halfway through all this with his hands in the air and a WTF look on his face.

I'll take a guess... I'd suppose the racer doesn't want to be tied to the motorcycle to be crushed under either of the 2 broken halves.  Like you noticed the racer was up on his feet.

In a race car, you get a roll cage all around you, and it's a good plan to stay inside the roll cage.   

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

The video was gone when I went back to try again to get the link. A road racer lost it on a turn, he was sliding on the track alongside his bike. When they got to the edge of the track the rider kept sliding on his butt but the bike dug in on the grass and started flipping end over end. Parts flying off the bike with every revolution. The bike broke in half and the two halves kept flipping. The rider was already back on his feet halfway through all this with his hands in the air and a WTF look on his face.

Was it Josh Herring's crash?

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

Was it Josh Herring's crash?

It wasn’t the same video camera but it might have been the same crash. The one I tried to post showed the rider standing up watching the bike still flipping and flopping. I think the one I watched they were in the grass when they came to a stop. But yes, you wouldn’t want to be buckled in to your seat during that.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I searched for a Josh Herrin crash thinking I might get a different camera angle. Holy samolry does that guy have a lot of crash videos out there. No wonder he is so good at sliding and not flipping and flopping, he has practice.

One of the best slides

• Awesome 2

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

@BR46 calls that “Saturday”

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

@BR46 calls that “Saturday”

One day I was talking to a friend who was a ex pro superbike racer about the brand of rain tires and how I was impressed by the performance. His response was you have to crash a few times to find out what the limit is. 

I finished 2nd because I was one that didn't crash out. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I had a friend back in the seventies that was always trying to get me to try road racing. There was a 24 hour race at Nelson’s Ledges raceway up by Cleveland called 24 hours of Nelson. He almost had me talked into it but work schedule was crazy for the month or so before the race including mandatory Saturday and Sunday. I told him maybe next year. My friend crashed and died in that race. I decided to stick to dirt bike racing.

• Sad 1