Happy St Patrick’s Day

Parsnip Totin Jack

My father and I, when someone in a room would fart, would say to each other, "Catch that and paint it green" and laugh.  No one knew what the inside joke was.  It's because we once shared this joke.

Pat and Mike are killed in an accident and go to Hell.

"Oh Divil," they said, "Please let us go live again!"

The Devil replied, "If you can think of something I can't do down here, I'll send you back to life."

Mike said, "Throw 100 tennis balls in the air at once and catch 'em before they hit the ground."

The Devil did it.

Pat said, "Drink 100 beers without peein'"

The Devil did it.

The two souls thought and thought until Pat farted.

Mike called out, "Catch that and paint it green!"

The two got to live again.

• Haha 4

Speaking of Guinness, did you see the episode of Ballykissangel, the BBC Series set in Ireland, where a liquor salesman is trying to sell kegs of "dark beer" to tavern owner Assumpta Fitzgerald?

She turns him down and replies, "Only the tourists ever want to drink it and it's not tourist season."

The salesman ends up giving her the kegs to maintain the brewery's reputation.

I don't know how much that's really true throughout Ireland. A Reddit question asking "Do the Irish like Guinness pretty much unanimously, or is it like Budweiser in America?" had one really balanced answer:

I'm Irish and a craft beer lover. While Guinness in Ireland is comparable to Bud in the US by popularity, it has a better reputation then Bud does in the US. The general population view it as a genuinely great quality product, not exactly true considering its brewed with hop extracts. From a craft beer point of view Guinness and Diageo are seen as the enemy, in the past Guinness bought up and shut down nearly all of Irelands regional breweries creating virtually a monopoly. To this day Diageo's tactics are generally viewed with disdain from the craft beer community, being seen as predatory and occasionally underhanded. Personally I'll drink one if theres nothing else better, but it lacks the quality and flavour of its craft counterparts like O'Haras Stout or Trouble Brewing Dark Arts.

• Heart 2

An Irishman walks into a bar in Ireland orders three pints of Guinness and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.  

The bartender asks him, "You know, a pint goes flat after I draw it; wouldn't you rather I draw fresh pints for you one at a time?" The fellow replies: "Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is now in America and the other, in Australia. When we all left home, we promised we'd drink this way to remember the days when we drank together."  

The bartender admits that this is a nice custom and leaves it there. The fellow becomes a regular in the bar, and always drinks the same way: He orders three pints and drinks them in turn.  

One day, he comes in and orders two pints. All the regulars notice and fall silent, speculating about what might have happened to one of the absent brothers. When the fellow goes back to the bar for a second round, the bartender says, "I don't want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your great loss." The fellow looks confused for a moment and then a light dawns in his eye and says: "Oh, no, everyone's fine. You see, it's just that I've given up beer for Lent."  

• Haha 4