Mickelson Trail ride vacation is coming together.

MoseySusan

If you start in Deadwood at the trail head the first house on your right that you come across. Wave and say high to Pat. 

When we are in deadwood we park our motorhome in their driveway and ride the trail.

• Awesome 1

I’m really hoping to get there in a couple weeks. Mom is moving to Rapid City with one of her sisters. She’s hoping I can help move. I want to help on the condition I can get a Mickelson ride in. I rode from Deadwood to Hills City last time. I would like to ride Hills City to Pringle, but a lot will depend on if WoW can go or not. Vacation time is pretty tight at her work right now. If she can’t go, I may just to an out and back from Custer to Hills City. Longer would be nice but not counting on that kind of time. 

• Awesome 1

Right?! If #1 child can’t get the time off, we’d hire a shuttle from Edgmont to Deadwood and then ride back to our car with an overnight in Hill City. Or, scrap the whole thing and ride The Enchanted Circle highways here in NM. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Right?! If #1 child can’t get the time off, we’d hire a shuttle from Edgmont to Deadwood and then ride back to our car with an overnight in Hill City. Or, scrap the whole thing and ride The Enchanted Circle highways here in NM. 

Say high to Pat Mollman for me as you ride past his house 

4 hours ago, BR46 said:

If you start in Deadwood at the trail head the first house on your right that you come across. Wave and say high to Pat. 

When we are in deadwood we park our motorhome in their driveway and ride the trail.

10 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Say high to Pat Mollman for me as you ride past his house 

Both mr. and I will say hi so that we catch both of these. 

FYI..When you leave from Deadwood, there will be a couple hills early on that are definitely NOT standard rail/trail grade. Nothing terrible, but harder than the rest. Water should be more accessible in-season, but get it when you can! I rode last fall just out of season. There was no water at the rest stops. I should have stopped in the little town (forget the name I will get it for you). It is your last town before Hills City. My bottles were empty and I drank like a camel when I got to the finish. The tunnels are awesome!

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, groupw said:

FYI..When you leave from Deadwood, there will be a couple hills early on that are definitely NOT standard rail/trail grade. Nothing terrible, but harder than the rest. Water should be more accessible in-season, but get it when you can! I rode last fall just out of season. There was no water at the rest stops. I should have stopped in the little town (forget the name I will get it for you). It is your last town before Hills City. My bottles were empty and I drank like a camel when I got to the finish. The tunnels are awesome!

If I remember right that when you are in Lead SD. You will hit a spot where the trail splits. If you go to the right the trail is longer but the climb is not as steep. 

Wo46 only purchased day passes for the trail. The day passes were 2 days old when we got stopped by a park ranger asking if we had trail passes. Wo46 opened up her bike back and pulled out 2 outdated passes. Before she hands the ranger he sees both passes in her hand and said.....oh your good. Then talked to us for a half hour. 

What a job, riding around the black hills on a mountain bike 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Didnt you have a job option for that area?

I did but unfortunately i had to take a pass on it. I would have taken a 15% hit on my retirement. At that time there were a couple bills in our state legislature that would have eliminated any penalty. They were never acted on.