Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Samsung Galaxy S5

Former member

10 years ago everyone wanted a smaller phone, now they want the biggest one they can find.

Consumerism has one constant. Change.

Everybody wanted small phones because they were 'phones' then. Now they are replacing computers, so they want a bigger screen. It'll probably change again in a few years.

10 years ago everyone wanted a smaller phone, now they want the biggest one they can find.

I wonder how much I can get for my old brick phone.

800D704B-F367-498A-B939-B82684A8D7C3_zps

I used to work for Sprint PCS in its early years before the acquisition of Nextel. Overall, cell phones have not terribly changed much in size/bulk. The Motorola Startac was an industry legend, and it fully opened, was only a tad bit smaller than a Galaxy4. Still was bigger than the Iphone5. I forget the name of it, but we had one phone back in '01 that was the size of a credit card. The ones in the mid 2000's that had the slide out keyboards for texting were every bit as big as a Galaxy4, and thicker too.

Only an Apple fan bitches about the size.... I'm amazed anyone except with tiny fingers can text on an Iphone.

Consumerism has one constant. Change.

Everybody wanted small phones because they were 'phones' then. Now they are replacing computers, so they want a bigger screen. It'll probably change again in a few years.

yep....I imagine that eventually, the phones will have either a full size usb port or a micro usb port for hooking up to a full size screen.  Most already have a wifi connection and some can even run MS office apps.   Basically, the days of the laptop and the desktop are numbered.  Your office will go with you wherever you go.

Sounds great, don't it?  Can't wait for the boss to want that spreadsheet while I'm on the beach.

ps...I use a slider phone.  No smartphone for me....yet.

I remember a while back when PC's were changing so fast that whatever you hauled home from the store today was likely obsolete and almost unusable in a year or two.  I bought an Alienware about 5 years ago.  There still isn't anything it can't do PC-wise.

I suspect phones are similar now.  I had a Samsung charge and Verizon and Samsung weren't showing it any love and they stopped upgrading Android for it.  There were a lot of apps I could not install.

I bought a Galaxy S4 when they first came out.  Fortunately Verizon and Samsung are keeping this up to date with Android.  Until that stops I can't see any reason why I'd get a new phone.

As for IOS8, meh.  I have an iPhone 4s for work and I put IOS8 on that.  Why do I need a new phone just for that?

I remember a while back when PC's were changing so fast that whatever you hauled home from the store today was likely obsolete and almost unusable in a year or two.  I bought an Alienware about 5 years ago.  There still isn't anything it can't do PC-wise.

I suspect phones are similar now.  I had a Samsung charge and Verizon and Samsung weren't showing it any love and they stopped upgrading Android for it.  There were a lot of apps I could not install.

I bought a Galaxy S4 when they first came out.  Fortunately Verizon and Samsung are keeping this up to date with Android.  Until that stops I can't see any reason why I'd get a new phone.

As for IOS8, meh.  I have an iPhone 4s for work and I put IOS8 on that.  Why do I need a new phone just for that?

Eventually the OS upgrades can somewhat cripple your older phone's ability to function as well as it did in the previous year. They just have huge install sizes to start with, tying up much of your phones memory

I used to work for Sprint PCS in its early years before the acquisition of Nextel. Overall, cell phones have not terribly changed much in size/bulk. The Motorola Startac was an industry legend, and it fully opened, was only a tad bit smaller than a Galaxy4. Still was bigger than the Iphone5. I forget the name of it, but we had one phone back in '01 that was the size of a credit card. The ones in the mid 2000's that had the slide out keyboards for texting were every bit as big as a Galaxy4, and thicker too.

Only an Apple fan bitches about the size.... I'm amazed anyone except with tiny fingers can text on an Iphone.

Ah, most phones are ridiculously big, now you can count an iPhone in that lot.  When I change mine, I will get the smaller of the new ones because one quality a phone must have is the ability to fit in a pants pocket when I sit down.  Any bigger than that, and it becomes a hindrance rather than a convenience.

Eventually the OS upgrades can somewhat cripple your older phone's ability to function as well as it did in the previous year. They just have huge install sizes to start with, tying up much of your phones memory

I noticed long ago that whenever I updated my 3G and 4s, that things slowed down.  I really don't "upgrade" past the first bug-fix cycle, there would have to be something majorly wrong for me to do that to an older phone..

For the same reason that you will scream "I HAVE NEVER HAD COFFEE" or "I DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL" at the top of your lungs anytime you see the opportunity to do so.

Look you filthy Texan, you forgot about GLUTEN!!!!  DAMNIT I AM GLUTEN FREE, can I still have an iPhone?

Oh, and I do drink alcohol, just rarely, and usually in excess when I do, not sure what's up with coffee.  Maybe I'll try it for my 60th birthday.

• Heart 1

Apple may not be the forefront of technology, but they're consistent and more reliable than most other products. I can only speak first hand about iPad, but they have their market. Let's put it in perspective....the people who buy Apple and buy again are doing so because they're happy with the product. There is an "Apple Fan Boy" element, but that doesn't account for the monumental numbers of purchasers.

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/15/how-do-launch-numbers-for-iphones-and-samsung-galaxy-s-phones-co/?ncid=rss_truncated

Apple may not be the forefront of technology, but they're consistent and more reliable than most other products. I can only speak first hand about iPad, but they have their market. Let's put it in perspective....the people who buy Apple and buy again are doing so because they're happy with the product. There is an "Apple Fan Boy" element, but that doesn't account for the monumental numbers of purchasers.

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/15/how-do-launch-numbers-for-iphones-and-samsung-galaxy-s-phones-co/?ncid=rss_truncated

BTW.....let me make one thing clear. I'm not IN ANY WAY saying it's not OK to make fun of Apple Fan Boys. In fact, it's HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to make fun of Apple Fan Boys.