Sour Beer - Still An "Acquired" Taste

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Parsnip Totin Jack,

I occasionally drink sour beers, but I can't say any will ever be the type of beer I grab and relax with or the type I grab for a meal.  Not sure where they are meant to be consumed, but interesting enough, just not really "my thing" yet.

This one, my buddy gave me, was on the milder side, so enjoyable enough, but still left me wondering "what's the point?"

1758873203_IMG_1341(Large).thumb.jpg.c2c443af26353406026ab1f3605497e7.jpg  1990360464_IMG_1340(Large).thumb.jpg.6f6319bf11c38dca6b7982064866d94f.jpg

• Heart 1

• Solution

Sour beers acidic profile is usually created by using wild yeasts much like the process used for sourdough bread. There are two predominant strains of wild yeast used, mostly in Belgian and German breweries. Done correctly and allowed to age properly these beers can develop complex flavors that pair well with strongly flavored foods like stinky cheeses and roasted meats. Done poorly the flavors can be described as “wet horse blankets” 

• Heart 1

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

Follow up comment. When I want a sour beer I usually go with the bigger names and not a brewery that I am not familiar with. I’m not much of a gambler when it comes to something that is easy to screw up. 

I generally don't grab too many of them. A few a year, but not a lot.  This one was actually pretty well done and they must be a smaller brewer.  My buddy also had another from them he didn't share - guava maybe???  He seemed happy enough, but I think they are definitely specific to the drinker.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I do wish New Glarus would find some way to start exporting beer out of their state. The inability to get it anywhere but local in Wisconsin is maddening.

This is their business model. They used to sell in other states. The return on investment was not good so they said F it. Drink indigenous. 

image.jpeg.a53f3f6421a4766af8dd24c0163b5f9b.jpeg

15 minutes ago, denniS said:

This is their business model. They used to sell in other states. The return on investment was not good so they said F it. Drink indigenous. 

image.jpeg.a53f3f6421a4766af8dd24c0163b5f9b.jpeg

And it is a smart one for a smallish company.  If someone wants to makes some $$$, they should consider a discussion with NG or other breweries and figure out a distribution plan beyond the Wisconsin area.  I wonder if NG is not willing to deal with the headache, but would sell large volumes each month to a reseller???

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And it is a smart one for a smallish company.  If someone wants to makes some $$$, they should consider a discussion with NG or other breweries and figure out a distribution plan beyond the Wisconsin area.  I wonder if NG is not willing to deal with the headache, but would sell large volumes each month to a reseller???

The headache was the crux I believe. You have to be licensed in each state you plan to sell. For NG it wasn't worth the money or hassle and they sell more than enough beer in WI to make it work. 

It also creates a natural scarcity and demand. If you know someone is going to WI, you ask them to bring back NG. So now it is getting distributed out of state without any effort for NG.

• Awesome 1