I like the newish Sunday afternoon dj on wxpn

Ralphie

He likes a lot of the same stuffs I do, plus a lot that are new to me and I've liked almost all of them, so that is great.  He says EW&F is the only real band. :D I can dig that.  He is a Sade fan too.  He is very lucky to be on a station where he has such freedom, and so are we listeners who happen to like the same shit. :D

• Heart 3

39 minutes ago, Airehead said:

WXPN was the cool station when I was a teen. 

You got it in Maryland?  Oh yeah, I think they say Wharton, MD once in a while in station identification. Now he is playing Yard Act, the new Cake. :D A nice finale as he goes  off at 5 PM. 

Oops!  That is Worton - population 249 in 2010! :D

Worton is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Kent County, Maryland, United States.[2] As of the 2010 census it had a population of 249.[3]

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Ralphie said:

You got it in Maryland?  Oh yeah, I think they say Wharton, MD once in a while in station identification. Now he is playing Yard Act, the new Cake. :D A nice finale as he goes  off at 5 PM. 

Oops!  That is Worton - population 249 in 2010! :D

Worton is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Kent County, Maryland, United States.[2] As of the 2010 census it had a population of 249.[3]

Worton is not too far from Earlsville

I miss the days when radio stations had actual shows with DJ's had some flexibility over what it played.

A nice change is that most radio stations stream now so they're all national radio stations.  I am listening to Kristen Kurtis and Bob Bumbera right now.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ralphie said:

He likes a lot of the same stuffs I do, plus a lot that are new to me and I've liked almost all of them, so that is great.  He says EW&F is the only real band. :D I can dig that.  

I heard him say that about EW&F.  I also hear him on Wednesday nights when I'm waiting to pick up my son from his CAP meetings (I assume he has a regular evening shift)

Did you know that the Worton station that co-broadcasts XPN operates out of Kent County High School?  "WKHS"

I've been listen a bit to WXPN since you've mentioned it.  I like the mix of music by all the hosts.  I struggle a bit with the morning show though.  Some of the songs they play are a little too, "in your face" for before 10:00.  The most recent example if Jump by Kris Kross.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am listening to WXPN this morning (thank you for the recomendation) and they play a Mark Knopfler instrumental.  I wasn't paying too close attention when they announced the song and missed the title.  I go to the "playlist" to get the title and it isn't listed.  What the fuck!?!?!?

image.png.285e96c0d31f3920c7357b65eef9a7de.png

It was between Bowies Drive-in Staurday Night and Dropkick Murphys I'm Shipping up to Boston.  Lets face it, Drive-In Saturday Night is not 18 minutes long.  Why do they hate Knopfler?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

So I am listening to WXPN this morning (thank you for the recomendation) and they play a Mark Knopfler instrumental.  I wasn't paying too close attention when they announced the song and missed the title.  I go to the "playlist" to get the title and it isn't listed.  What the fuck!?!?!?

image.png.285e96c0d31f3920c7357b65eef9a7de.png

It was between Bowies Drive-in Staurday Night and Dropkick Murphys I'm Shipping up to Boston.  Lets face it, Drive-In Saturday Night is not 18 minutes long.  Why do they hate Knopfler?

Try searching for Knopfler. How about that Mannequin Pussy? :D  I heared a good one by Kruanghbin this morning, Love International or some such. 

They do drop the ball once in a while (at the Dew Drip Inn!),  but usually that playlist is spot on. It is a great feature. Much more reliable than the app which often has nothing listed. Glad you are enjoying the station!

Sometimes a song doesn't show up on the playlist, if a DJ dug it out of a box in his garage or something, or maybe it it's too new or some kind of special release (not in their digital library, which I would assume automatically populates the playlist). 

(I was also listening at the time)  The song you are talking about was kind of an all-star version of "Going Home", a theme Knopfler wrote for the 1983 movie Local Hero.  Check the credits - it's a bit of a who's who.  It's a benefit song for a UK teen cancer charity.

I think it's interesting that the clip is captioned "Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes"... while Mark Knopfler is my #1 guitar hero.

• Awesome 2

7 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Sometimes a song doesn't show up on a playlist, if a DJ dug it out of a box in his garage or something, or maybe it it's too new or some kind of special release.  The song you are talking about was kind of an all-star version of "Going Home", a theme Knopfler wrote for the 1983 movie Local Hero.  Check the credits - it's a bit of a who's who.

I think it's interesting that the clip is captioned "Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes"... while Mark Knopfler is my #1 guitar hero.

Thank you.  Here's what WIKI says where on the recording:

image.png.575c9c3cb31b2589b425981a16a89474.png

• Heart 1