Who closes a gym?!

12string

Went in to swim this morning, signs everywhere, the gym is closing.

Well this sucks.

I can switch to a nicer gym, bigger pool, more stuff - for a few bucks less.  

BUT the old place is 5 minutes from home, 5 minutes from work.

The new place will be 8 minutes PAST work.

And I'll have to convince my wife to go to the new place instead of just switching to another outlet of the old place.  Her favorite spin instructor is there, too, so maybe

• Hugs 1

25 minutes ago, 12string said:

Well this sucks.

And I'll have to convince my wife to go to the new place instead of just switching to another outlet of the old place.  Her favorite spin instructor is there, too, so maybe

Why don't you offer to buy the gym and keep it open?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Well this sucks.

If she likes the spin instructor that's a big plus.

Is it cheaper somehow or you have 1 car, that you both need to be at 1 location?

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

If she likes the spin instructor that's a big plus.

Is it cheaper somehow or you have 1 car, that you both need to be at 1 location?

we actually don't go to the gym at the same time too often.  It's cheaper to get the family membership than 2 individuals at the 2 different gyms.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

51 minutes ago, 12string said:

we actually don't go to the gym at the same time too often.  It's cheaper to get the family membership than 2 individuals at the 2 different gyms.

When I go back to rec. centre (lazy me, hasn't since after Nov.) it will be a municipal facility which offers a senior's rate -$20.00 cheaper/month than regular adult.  I can use my pass (regardless of age group) at any facility across the City. (Out of 20+ others, 2 others would be reasonable distance for me to bike there.) 

Different sites do have some different drop-in classes for different types of exercises and use of the pool. Meaning for 1 month, I can shove in separate drop-in 1 hr. classes for yoga, strength, cardio, spin.  If I REALLY wanted to add in workout in weights rm. which I haven't yet.

When I tried 3 different classes in 1 wk., I was tired and quite sore. :lol:And this  being cycling fit --after summer-fall cycling  nearly daily on my own as usual.

Of course, I'm also cycling to and from fitness classes  --latter segment adding some extra 10 kms. distance afterwards before getting home. Our municipality offers a good deal.  It's not the same program design for fee, for all big different Canadian cities.  So I'm ignoring the private sector fitness firms.

I personally found it strange being in the spin segment class.....when other students really WEREN'T looking forward to that piece. :nodhead: It made me realize how much I love cycling and how long I've been doing it.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I personally found it strange being in the spin segment class.....when other students really WEREN'T looking forward to that piece. :nodhead: It made me realize how much I love cycling and how long I've been doing it.

Many years ago I went to spin classes. The were fine except for some of their musical choices and some of the hopping up and down that they thought were fun. Luckily I knew the instructors and just sat and pedaled when they were going through some of their gyrations. At one time we could use our pedals and shoes, but some could not change the pedals without cross threading, so that came to an end.

42 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Many years ago I went to spin classes. The were fine except for some of their musical choices and some of the hopping up and down that they thought were fun. Luckily I knew the instructors and just sat and pedaled when they were going through some of their gyrations. At one time we could use our pedals and shoes, but some could not change the pedals without cross threading, so that came to an end.

I don't cycle clipless..it is toe cups anyway for past 3 decades.

At the last spinning segment, the instructor (who was not on the bike herself. :unsure:) told us to cycle standing up for segments. I didn't bother but just kept spinning high cadence, seated in class.  I never even cycle up hills, standing up.  I just spin /grind up.

I've walked by some spinning classes where the music is really loud, instructor is yelling out, etc. and everyone is packed so closely in a room..... just to me, horrible. It would make me hate cycling.  These are at the private sector clubs.  The municipality is a bit conscious on the safety side..... for obvious reasons.

The instructors I've had for diferrent types of classes, to me, seem fine personality-wise, and aware of being safety conscious, etc. Some to me, considerable yrs. of instruction, at least over 10 years which helps for very diverse range of ages.